"DOGWELL'S, ST. (ST. DOGVAEL'S), a parish in the hundred of DEWISLAND, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 9 miles (N.) from Haverfordwest, on the road from that town to Fishguard, containing 514 inhabitants. This parish is noted, on traditional authority, as the birthplace and place of burial of that distinguished patriot and chieftain, Owain Glyndwr, who is said to have been born at Little Trêfgarn and to have been interred at the small village of Wolf's Castle, both situated within its limits. . . Slate of good quality is found in this parish, and is worked upon a limited scale. . . The church, dedicated to St. Dogvael, is a plain building of considerable antiquity, without either tower or spire: the nave is separated from the south aisle by low Norman arches. The sum of £7. 10. per annum is paid to the poor of this parish by Major Harries of Trêvacoon under the will of the late John Edwardes, Esq., of Trêfgarn. Within the limits of the parish are, a cromlech, and other remains of antiquity, some of which, supposed to have been Druidical altars, are at present little more than an indiscriminate heap of stones . . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Ambleston with St Dogwells from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1718-1973), Marriages (1718-53, 1756-1933, 1939-68) Banns (1797-1944), Burials (1722-74, 1783-1966) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1800, 1802-7, 1811-79, 1885) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105206.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within St Dogwells parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Rosemary St.Leger-May)
Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.
Murcott, Ken Wolfscastle: the outline of a local history Journal of the Pembrokeshire Historical Society vol 1 1985 Welsh Journals Online
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996