"EDREN'S, ST. (ST. EDEYRN'S), a parish in the hundred of DEWISLAND, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 10 miles (N.N.W.) from Haverfordwest, containing 113 inhabitants. This parish, which is of very small extent, is for the most part enclosed and cultivated. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Precentor and Upper Chapter in the Cathedral Church of St. David's. The grass in the churchyard is asserted by many residents in the vicinity to be a specific for preserving both men and cattle from the effects of the bite of a mad dog: by the former it is eaten with bread and butter, and the latter are turned in to graze upon it; and in those which in that condition have eaten it no symptoms of madness have afterwards appeared, while, on the contrary, such as would not have uniformly died in a short time: the grass is the perquisite of the parish clerk, and in the wall of the chancel is a cavity, into which is put whatever persons choose to pay for eating it. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £24." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Diocesan records suggest that c1790 the registers went back to 1770
Parish registers: Christenings (1791-1959), Marriages (1800-09, 1813-25, 1834-1932) Banns (1809-18), Burials (1788-1887) at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR [extracts] C (1785-1829) B (1789-1886) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1813, 1815-45) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105206.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within St Edrins parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Rosemary St.Leger-May)
Held at the NLW ;
[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996