Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"FLORENCE (ST.), a parish in the hundred of CASTLEMARTTN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 1/2 miles (W. by N.) from Tenby, containing 350 inhabitants. This parish is beautifully situated on a gentle eminence in the centre of a fertile vale, sheltered on one side by the northern declivity of the Ridgeway between Pembroke and Tenby. The village forms one of the most cheerful and interesting objects in the delightful ride from Tenby to Pembroke. Many of the cottages, which are grouped in pleasing clusters around the church, are of ancient appearance . . . Attached to the cottages are spacious gardens, and the lands in the immediate vicinity are more richly wooded than in almost any other part of the surrounding country. The scenery is agreeably diversified, and the whole appearance of this interesting spot is highly picturesque. . . The church, dedicated to St. Florence, is a massive cruciform structure, in the early style of English architecture . . . There is a place of worship for Independents. In connexion with the established church is a Sunday school, supported by subscription, which is attended by nearly all the children of the parish; and a school, supported by the dissenters, is held in a school-house belonging to the parish. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464342
- 1851 Census - 0104233
- 1861 Census - 0543242
- 1871 Census - 0850852
- 1881 Census - 1342303
- 1891 Census - 6099637
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
- Saint Florence Parish Church "Great want of Sittings" G W Birkett, Vicar
- Bethel Ind Erected about the year 1802 Benjamin Evans, Minister, Green, Pembroke
Parish entry for St Florence and Redberth from the Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
- St Florencius
- Redberth Parish Church
- Incumbent and Curates; J James
- Rural Deanery of Castlemartin
- Acreage 2,528 & 304; Population 393
Parish registers: Christenings (1763-1993), Marriages (1755-1987), Burials (1763-1994) at Pem.RO
Copy ts BT (1799-1805) at pem.RO
Copy ts PR M pre 1813 with index, at NLW and Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1890, 1892) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105206.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
- Bethel, in St Florence village [Independents, 1800]. Records ; births and bapts, 1803-37 in connection with Sardis/St Issells at PRO RG4/3919, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 819966, IGI SN08270105 Built 1802, rebuilt 1837 and 1858, closed 1988 Coflein On Dyfed FHS
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (Jan 2009)
- Millside Congregational chapel, St Florence On Dyfed FHS
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within St Florence parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- St Florence (135); Carn Rock, Coppybush, East Jordeston, Elm Grove, Flemington, Ivy Tower, Minerton, Old Windmill, Park Wall, Red Down, St.Florence, West Jordanston.
You can see pictures of St Florence which are provided by:
Hughes, Basil Jottings on the History of Pembrokeshire Manorbier, St Florence and Redberth [Kindle Edition 2013]
St. Florence past and present. St. Florence : Zena Jarvis, 1996. 166p : ill, maps,plan,ports ; 20cm.
Thomas, Owen. St. Florence : hidden heritage. Narberth : SPARC, 1994. 1 fold leaf : ill, map ; 21cm. Series title South of the Landsker
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Ivy Tower estate, St Florence, records 1727-1866 "Robert Williams bought lands in the parish of St Florence, Pembrokeshire, in the 17th century. Five of his descendants lived there, before the lands were sold in the 19th century. The name Ivy Tower first became associated with the residence in 1771. ......." (13/9/14. Third party information states " However, Robert Williams died in 1710 and the appraisal of his effects mentions property at "Ivy Tarr" allowing for pronunciation and local dialect this could well put usage of the name some 60 years earlier. The will of Robert Williams is available on line in the Wales Archives."
NB. "Pembrokeshire Hearth Tax 1670 has William Williams, gent., of Ivy Tower with 4 hearths. This predates above statements about the first use of the name Ivy Tower."[Contributed 1/2016]
- Meyrick Owen collection of Pembroke and St Florence papers "Records collected by J. A. Meyrick Owen, 1609-1970, relating to Pembroke and St Florence,Pembrokeshire."
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN082012 (Lat/Lon: 51.676692, -4.775562), St Florence which are provided by:
McDonald, Angela. Log Books of St Florence VC School - Book One. Dyfed FHS journal, Vol 8/9 Aug 2005
[Gareth Hicks: 13 Sept 2014]