"FLORENCE (ST.), a parish in the hundred of CASTLEMARTTN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 1/2 miles (W. by N.) from Tenby, containing 350 inhabitants. This parish is beautifully situated on a gentle eminence in the centre of a fertile vale, sheltered on one side by the northern declivity of the Ridgeway between Pembroke and Tenby. The village forms one of the most cheerful and interesting objects in the delightful ride from Tenby to Pembroke. Many of the cottages, which are grouped in pleasing clusters around the church, are of ancient appearance . . . Attached to the cottages are spacious gardens, and the lands in the immediate vicinity are more richly wooded than in almost any other part of the surrounding country. The scenery is agreeably diversified, and the whole appearance of this interesting spot is highly picturesque. . . The church, dedicated to St. Florence, is a massive cruciform structure, in the early style of English architecture . . . There is a place of worship for Independents. In connexion with the established church is a Sunday school, supported by subscription, which is attended by nearly all the children of the parish; and a school, supported by the dissenters, is held in a school-house belonging to the parish. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for St Florence and Redberth from the Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1763-1993), Marriages (1755-1987), Burials (1763-1994) at Pem.RO
Copy ts BT (1799-1805) at pem.RO
Copy ts PR M pre 1813 with index, at NLW and Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1890, 1892) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105206.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within St Florence parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.
Hughes, Basil Jottings on the History of Pembrokeshire Manorbier, St Florence and Redberth [Kindle Edition 2013]
St. Florence past and present. St. Florence : Zena Jarvis, 1996. 166p : ill, maps,plan,ports ; 20cm.
Thomas, Owen. St. Florence : hidden heritage. Narberth : SPARC, 1994. 1 fold leaf : ill, map ; 21cm. Series title South of the Landsker
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
McDonald, Angela. Log Books of St Florence VC School - Book One. Dyfed FHS journal, Vol 8/9 Aug 2005
[Gareth Hicks: 5 Sept 2013]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996