"LAWRENCE (ST,), a parish in the hundred of DEWISLAND, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 8 1/2 miles (N. by W.) from Haverfordwest, containing 211 inhabitants. This parish is situated in the northwestern part of the county, and comprehends a moderate extent of arable and pasture land, of which the greater portion is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surface is boldly undulated; the surrounding scenery, though not distinguished by any peculiarity of feature, is generally pleasing; and from the higher grounds some good views are obtained of the adjoining country, which is much diversified. The soil, though varying in different parts of the parish, is in general fertile: the parochial rates are assessed by the ploughland. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £3. 18. 9., endowed with £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, from which circumstance the parish derives its name, is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. There is a place of worship for Welsh Calvinistic Methodists. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £52. 6." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for St Lawrence with Ford from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1767-99, 1814-1992), Marriages (1766-1954, 1959-70) Banns (1799-1944), Burials (1767-99, 1813-1992) at Pem.RO
Mf copies C (1814-47) M (1800-37) Banns (1799-1944), B (1813-1946) at NLW
Copy ts PR [extracts] C (1770-1897) M (1767-1869) B (1767-1811) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799, 1802-54, 1866, 1871-4) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105188.
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within St Lawrence parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996