"PETROX (ST.), a parish in the hundred of CASTLEMARTIN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (S.W.) from Pembroke, containing 77 inhabitants. This parish, which is also called Llan Pedrog, derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Pedrog, a British saint, who flourished about the commencement of the seventh century. It comprises but a very moderate tract of arable and pasture land, and is chiefly distinguished for the salubrity of the air, and the longevity of its inhabitants: the surface is pleasingly varied, and the soil fertile. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £7. 3. 9., and in the patronage of Earl Cawdor. The church, dedicated to St. Pedrog, is a neat edifice, with a handsome square tower, and is situated on an eminence commanding a pleasing view over the adjacent country. Attached to the living is a comfortable glebe-house, pleasantly situated and in good repair, with a moderate portion of land. The poor children of this parish have the privilege of gratuitous instruction in the parochial school at Cheriton. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £58. 15." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph
Monkton Rectorial Benefice
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for St Petrox with Stackpole Elidor (otherwise Cheriton) from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1640-1989), Marriages (1640-1836, 1840-1963), Burials (1640-1987) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR CMB (1640-1991) arranged alphabetically at NLW and Pem.RO
Copy ts PR M pre 1813 with index at NLW and Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1685, 1799-1802, 1804-7, 1809, 1811-19, 1821-59, 1861-96) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105208.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within St Petrox parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by John Richards)
[Gareth Hicks: 12 Sept 2013]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996