"STACKPOOL-ELIDUR, a parish in the hundred of CASTLEMARTIN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 1/2 miles (S.) from Pembroke, containing 348 inhabitants. The name of this place is derived from the Stack rock at the mouth of the Broad Haven, at the head of which it is situated, in the Bristol channel; and its adjunct from St. Elidur, to whom the original foundation of its church is attributed. The parish comprises an extensive tract of good arable and pasture land, in a high state of cultivation; and the scenery, enriched with the beautiful grounds and extensive plantations surrounding the mansion of Stackpool Court, is finely diversified and strikingly picturesque. . . The church, dedicated to St. Elidur, or, according to some authorities, to St. James, is an ancient structure, containing several monuments to different members of the family of Stackpool Court. . . A school, for the gratuitous instruction of all the poor children of this and the adjoining parishes of St. Petrox and Bosheston, is supported by Earl Cawdor. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for St Petrox with Stackpole Elidor (otherwise Cheriton) from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Davies, D. B. G. A brief history and description of the Parish Church of St. James and St. Elidyr, Stackpole Elidor [S.l.] : [s.n.], 1978. 10cm ; 26cm
Parish registers: Christenings (1724-1930), Marriages (1724-1968), Burials (1724-1992) at NLW
Mf copies C (1724-1812), M (1724-1837) B (1724-1983) at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR/BT M pre 1813 with index at NLW and Pem.RO
Copy ts PR CMB (1724-1991) arranged alphabetically at NLW and Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1685-6, 1799-1802, 1804-37, 1839-43, 1845-74, 1878-96) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105210.
Indexes to the Parish Registers of the Stackpole group of parishes - Stackpole Elidor, St. Petrox, Bosherston and St. Twynnells
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Stackpole Elidor parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by John Richards)
Stackpole A Data Wales site
Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
[Gareth Hicks: 31 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996