We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"STEYNTON, or STAINTON, a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 2 miles (N.N.E.) from Milford, containing 2984 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the turnpike road from Milford to Haverfordwest, extends to the shore of Milford Haven, by which it is bounded on the south; and Hubberston Pill, an inlet from the haven, is navigable for small craft, at high water, for a considerable distance within its limits. In the southern part of it is situated the borough, market, and seaport town of Milford . . . The parish is about six miles in length from north to south, and from a mile and a half to two miles in breadth from east to west, and is wholly enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. Culm is found within its limits, and a mine which had been worked for many years, for the supply of the neighbourhood, has been reopened on Lord Kensington's estate. . . The church, dedicated to St. Peter, or, as it is stated in the Monasticon, to St. Kewel, and formerly dependent upon Pill priory, is an ancient and venerable structure, with a lofty tower, which, from its elevated situation, is seen from every part of the surrounding country . . . There is a place of worship for Presbyterians. A school is about to be established at a place called Sodston, for children of either sex . . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]

Monumental Inscriptions for this parish have the LDS Call Number: 1471282


The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464345
  • 1851 Census - 0104235
  • 1861 Census - 0543243
  • 1871 Census - 0850855
  • 1881 Census - 1342304
  • 1891 Census - 6099643/5


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Steynton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Steynton Parish Church                               William Beach Thomas, Vicar
  • St Katherine's Chapel of Ease, Town of Milford                 Consecrated and licensed in the year 1805, as an additional church on the Petition of the Founder and Propriator, C Greville Esq                 Thomas Brigstock, Incumbent Minister
  • Treiscross, Steynton    Independent Dissenters      Erected since 1800     Evan Thomas, Minister, Studdolph, Milford Haven
  • Wesleyan chapel, Milford Haven               Erected in 1832              Aaron Langley, Minister, Milford Haven
  • Milford Haven  Particular Baptist                   Erected in 1828                 James H Thomas, Minister
  • Stynton, Milford Dock Yard     (Roman) Catholic         About 1844 first used as Catholic Chapel           James Kinny, Minister, Victoria Place, Milford
  • Tabernacle, Back St, Milford    Ind                 Erected in 1808        Thomas Lloyd, Minister
  • Wesleyan chapel, Hakin                  Erected in 1806             Aaron Langley, Minister

Parish entry for Johnston with Steynton from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Parish Church
  • &
  • SS Cewyell and Peter (Steynton)
  • Incumbent and Curates; T B Williams
  • Rural Deanery of Roose
  • Acreage 1,295 & 6,801; Population 1,859

See also the separate Milford Haven  page

Church Records

Parish registers: Christenings (1637-1917), Marriages (1637-1970) Banns (1840-75, 1901-91), Burials (1637-1987) at Pem.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1804, 1806-7, 1809-10, 1812-67) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105209.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

  • Short Lane / Robert St, Milford Haven  [Baptists, 1828].            Records ;  1. Births, 1803-36 at PRO RG4/3476, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 813551, IGI     2. Account book and subscriptions towards the building of Short Lane Meeting House, 1828-31 , at NLW Ms 17394            On Dyfed FHS under Milford Haven
  • North Road Baptist chapel, Milford Haven                    On Dyfed FHS under Milford Haven
  • Thornton Baptist chapel                       SM90380785           Built 1867    Still open 1998         Coflein                      On Dyfed FHS
  • Dreen Hill , in Dreen Hill [Calvinistic Methodists, 1834]. Records ; See Ebenezer                     On Dyfed FHS
  • Tabernacle, in Charles St/Milford Haven town  [Independents, 1808]. Records ; births and bapts, 1796-1837 at PRO RG4/2781, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 819966, IGI          On Dyfed FHS under Milford Haven
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (April 2008)
  • Tabernacle, in Tiers Cross  [Independents / UR, 1815]                      On Dyfed FHS
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (April 2008)
  • Chapel, in Milford Haven  [Wesleyan Methodists, 1808]. Records ; Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Circuits; baptismal registers, 1842-1934, circuit schedule and plans, quarterly minutes, accounts 1889-1980 at Pem RO [DFC/M/9].. See Wesleyan Chapel/Haverfordwest/St Martins            On Dyfed FHS under Milford Haven
  • St Francis Roman Catholic Church, Milford Haven               On Dyfed FHS under Milford Haven
  • Quaker chapel, Milford Haven                On Dyfed FHS under Milford Haven
  • Cemetery chapel, Thornton Rd, Steynton          SM90720764     Built 1902         Coflein 

Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

See also the separate Milford Haven  page

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Steynton which are provided by:

Places, villages, farms etc within Steynton parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Barry Johnson)

  • Steynton (104); Annykell, Barleymoor, Barrettshill, Black Bridge, Bolton Hill, Brooksgrove, Buttford, Castle Hall, Castle Pill, Coombs, Denant, Denant Mountain, Dreenhill, Ford (Fm.), Harmeston, Hill Fm., Hill Moor, Milford Haven, Mill School, Pill, Priory, Ratford Bridge, Skerryford, Steynton, Studdolph, (Studdolph) Hall, Thornton, Tiers Cross, Tierson, Venn, Woodson


Transcriptions of the complete entries in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833 for Steynton, and for Milford.


Pembrokeshire Families


Skone, Arthur. Thomas Skone, 18th century Surgeon; His rise and election. Dyfed FHS journal, Vol 6/2 Dec 1997.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Steynton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


There are historical snippets about this parish on Not everyone knows this..

Brown, J., Phillips, J.W., and Warren. F.J. The history of Haverfordwest with that of some Pembrokeshire parishes, Haverfordwest, L. Brigstocke (1914) pp.185-192.


[Gareth Hicks:  30 Dec 2012]

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM917077 (Lat/Lon: 51.729177, -5.017755), Steynton which are provided by: