GENUKI Home page upPembrokeshire ContentsContents

 

STEYNTON

Parish based
sketch map
of the
hundred

"STEYNTON, or STAINTON, a parish in the hundred of RHS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 2 miles (N.N.E.) from Milford, containing 2984 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the turnpike road from Milford to Haverfordwest, extends to the shore of Milford Haven, by which it is bounded on the south; and Hubberston Pill, an inlet from the haven, is navigable for small craft, at high water, for a considerable distance within its limits. In the southern part of it is situated the borough, market, and seaport town of Milford . . . The parish is about six miles in length from north to south, and from a mile and a half to two miles in breadth from east to west, and is wholly enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. Culm is found within its limits, and a mine which had been worked for many years, for the supply of the neighbourhood, has been reopened on Lord Kensington's estate. . . The church, dedicated to St. Peter, or, as it is stated in the Monasticon, to St. Kewel, and formerly dependent upon Pill priory, is an ancient and venerable structure, with a lofty tower, which, from its elevated situation, is seen from every part of the surrounding country . . . There is a place of worship for Presbyterians. A school is about to be established at a place called Sodston, for children of either sex . . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]

Cemeteries

Monumental Inscriptions for this parish have the LDS Call Number: 1471282

Census

The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

Church History

STEYNTON, St. Peter   1881-1883    - on the Church plans online site

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

 

Parish entry for Johnston with Steynton from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

See also the separate Milford Haven  page

Church Records

Parish registers: Christenings (1637-1917), Marriages (1637-1970) Banns (1840-75, 1901-91), Burials (1637-1987) at Pem.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1804, 1806-7, 1809-10, 1812-67) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105209.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

See also the separate Milford Haven  page

Description and Travel

Places, villages, farms etc within Steynton parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Barry Johnson)

Directories

Transcriptions of the complete entries in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833 for Steynton, and for Milford.

Genealogy

Pembrokeshire Families

 

Skone, Arthur. Thomas Skone, 18th century Surgeon; His rise and election. Dyfed FHS journal, Vol 6/2 Dec 1997.

History

There are historical snippets about this parish on Not everyone knows this..

Brown, J., Phillips, J.W., and Warren. F.J. The history of Haverfordwest with that of some Pembrokeshire parishes, Haverfordwest, L. Brigstocke (1914) pp.185-192.

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries
 
Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks:  30 Dec 2012]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.