"TREFGARN (GREAT), a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (N.) from Haverfordwest, containing 112 inhabitants. It is intersected from north to south by the Western Cleddy river, up the valley of which passes the turnpike road from Haverfordwest to Fishguard. The north-western part of it is composed chiefly of the Trefgarn and Leweston mountains, which form an elevated, heathy, and barren tract, unfit for cultivation. The most remarkable natural feature of its surface is that from which it derives its name, signifying "the town of the rock," and which consists of two rocks of striking aspect, rising abruptly to a considerable height above the moor, and presenting the appearance of ruined castles, an idea which seems confirmed to the eye by their being situated so as to command the narrow pass of the mountain through which the Western Cleddy here flows, and which, on the opposite eastern side, presents a fine grove feathering down to the water's edge. The portion of the parish lying to the east of the Cleddy is called Little Trefgarn. Trefgarn Hall, situated a little to the west of the village, is a modern seat, erected in 1824, by the present proprietor, Dr. Evans, and commands a fine and extensive view over the district of Rhôs.The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £1. 13. 9., and in the patronage of Dr.Evans, who is proprietor of the whole parish. Some old encampments were formerly traceable here, but their defences have been levelled. The average annual expenditure for the relief of the poor amounts to £35. 10." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Spittal with Treffgarne from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Odd entries CMB (1803-12) with PR Ambleston. C (1984-9) with PR Spittal
Parish registers: Christenings (1727-1975), Marriages (1727-1962), Burials (1727-1990) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1804, 1806-9, 1811-19, 1821-56, 1858-9) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105208.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Treffgarne parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
Trench, Allan. A high southerly palaeolatitude for southern Britain in early Ordovician times : palaeomagnetic data from the Treffgarne valley formation south-west Wales . Geophysical Journal International 108 (1992), p. 89-100
Volcanogenic mineralisation in the Treffgarne area, south-west Dyfed.Keyworth British Geological Survey, 1987. 17p : ill, chart, plans, maps ; 30cm.
[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996