"WARREN, a parish in the hundred of CASTLEMARTIN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (S.W.) from Pembroke, containing 169 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the south-western part of the county, is of considerable extent, reaching to the coast of the Bristol channel, by which it is bounded on the south and south-west. It includes the small village of Lenny, on the western coast, from which a point of land, projecting into the sea, derives its name of Lenny Head. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £4. 8.1 1/2.,endowed with £400 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient building with a square tower, surmounted by a spire of stone, forming a conspicuous object on this part of the coast. In the churchyard is the pedestal of an ancient cross, in which is inserted the head of one of the circular kind. According to tradition, there was an ancient religious house on a farm called Warren; but there are no remains of it, and the only records of its existence are the names of several places in the immediate neighbourhood, which would appear to have been derived from such an establishment. Vestiges of an ancient fortification, of circular form, and still in good preservation, may be seen in a field between this place and the parish church of St. Twinnel: it was defended by a triple rampart, having an entrance on the west side, and appears to have been a place of great strength; the area within the inner rampart, which is the most entire, is about one acre in extent. It appears to have formed a link in a chain of fortifications by which the south-western coasts were protected from the piratical incursions of the Saxons and Danes. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £123. 19. " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Warren with St Twinnell from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
PR M (1774-1812) recorded in 1933 apparently lost
Parish registers: Christenings (1760-1968), Marriages (1755-76, 1813-35, 1840-1966) Banns (1825-1966), Burials (1760-1990) at NLW with mf copies at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR M pre 1813 with index at NLW and Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1805, 1807-71, 1873-8, 1882, 1888-90) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105208.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Warren parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by John Richards)
[Gareth Hicks: 31 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996