Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"WILLIAMSTON, a chapelry in the parish of BEGELLY, hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (N.W.) from Tenby, containing 470 inhabitants. It is situated on the high road between Pembroke and Carmarthen. Coal is obtained here. The chapel is a rude edifice without tower or spire. This place is separately assessed for the support of its poor, the average annual expenditure amounting to £50. 19." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464344
- 1851 Census - 0104232
- 1861 Census - 0543242
- 1871 Census - 0850852
- 1881 Census - 1342302
- 1891 Census - 6099636
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
- East Williamston Chapel of Ease to Begelly "..... The Chapel is a miserable place" Richard Burthby, Rector, Begelly Rectory
- Moreton WM Erected in 1850 Benjamin Owens, Superintendant
Parish entry for Begelly with East Williamston and Coedcenlas from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
- St Parish Church
- Chapel of Ease (East Williamston)
- (Church in ruins, Caedcenlas)
- Incumbent and Curates; H Phillips
- Rural Deanery of Narberth
- Acreage 2,533 & 1,454; Population 828 & 87
PR; See Begelly parish
Bishops Transcripts for this parish have the LDS Call Number: 0105128. See Begelly parish
Places, villages, farms etc within Williamston East chapelry as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- East Williamston (127); Broadmoor, Bush, Cold Inn, East Williamston, Masterland, North Vatson Fm., Prouts Park Fm., Templebar, Watershill, Wooden.
You can see pictures of East Williamston which are provided by:
Held at the NLW ;
- Records [deposited by R K Lucas], mainly C17th-C20th from the office of Messrs John Harvey & Sons, later Messrs James Thomas & Sons, land estate agents, Haverfordwest...................; of the Scourfield family of New Moat and Williamston.............
[Gareth Hicks: 5 Jan 2013]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN098049 (Lat/Lon: 51.710466, -4.754466), East Williamston which are provided by: