"BLEDDFA, (or Blethvaugh), a parish in the hundred of Cefnllys, in the county of Radnor, South Wales, 6 miles to the S.W. of Knighton. It is situated in a bleak and hilly country, near the river Lug. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's, of the value of £181, in the patronage of the bishop of the diocese. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Petty sessions are held here by the county magistrates."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
BLETHVA (BLEDDVA), a parish partly in the hundred of KEVENLLEECE, and partly in that of KNIGHTON, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 6 1/2 miles (W. S. W.) from Knighton, containing 233 inhabitants. This parish is situated within the boundaries of the forest of Blethva, and near the river Lug, and is intersected by the high roads from Knighton in this county, and from Builth. in the county of Brecknock, to Newtown in Montgomeryshire. Its aspect is barren and uninviting : a great part of it being little better than a dreary unproductive waste, agriculture is here in a rude state ; the mountains, however, afford pasturage for large flocks of sheep. The petty sessions for the hundred are occasionally held here. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £10. 12. 1., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a large structure, consisting of a nave and chancel, but without any claim to architectural notice. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £114. 6.
(Copied using the original books AND the Cd published by Archive CD Books)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 2 June 2005 Gareth Hicks]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996