GENUKI Home page NeighboursNearby places
Radnorshire Radnorshire   Contents Contents

BLEDDFA

 "BLETHVA (BLEDDVA), a parish partly in the hundred of KEVENLLEECE, and partly in that of KNIGHTON, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 6 1/2 miles (W. S. W.) from Knighton, containing 233 inhabitants. This parish is situated within the boundaries of the forest of Blethva, and near the river Lug, and is intersected by the high roads from Knighton in this county, and from Builth. in the county of Brecknock, to Newtown in Montgomeryshire. Its aspect is barren and uninviting : a great part of it being little better than a dreary unproductive waste, agriculture is here in a rude state ; the mountains, however, afford pasturage for large flocks of sheep. The petty sessions for the hundred are occasionally held here. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at 10. 12. 1., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Mary,.........."    ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Bibliography

Bleddfa Excavations, 1961; Summary Account               Radnorshire Society Transactions      vol. 31  1961    Welsh Journals Online

Butler, L A S     The excavation of a mound at Bleddfa Church           Radnorshire Society Transactions      vol. 32  1962    Welsh Journals Online  

Inquisitions post-mortem for the Manor of Bleddfa                  Radnorshire Society Transactions      vol. 33  1963   Welsh Journals Online

Milton, David. A Knighton, Bleddfa, Knighton walk. [Birmingham]: Different Walker Publications , 2002. 42p

Noble, F              Further excavations at Bleddfa Church, and associated problems of the history ofn the Lordship of Bleddfa           Radnorshire Society Transactions      vol. 33  1963   Welsh Journals Online

Wright, Eva. The Bleddfa Trust : a centre for the sacred arts [Bleddfa Church, Powys]. Resurgence 125 (1987), p. 25-6

Church History

BLEDDFA, St. Mary  1905-1907 - on the Church plans online site

Church of St Mary Magdalene, Bleddfa on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G   Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,  Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Blethvaugh or Bleddfa Parish; Statistics; Area 2740 acres; Population 119 males, 115 females, total 234

Church Records

Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers

As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;

Description and Travel

Bleddfa Castle on the Castle Wales site

Gazetteers

History

Bleddfa War Memorial - on the Roll of Honour site

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Maps

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Bleddfa c 1840 & 1903 - on the Victorian Powys site

Population

Population figures for Bleddfa parish - on the Victorian Powys site

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

 

Return to top

Bleddfa


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[ 13 Nov 2013 - Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.