"BOUGHROOD, (or Bachrhyd), a parish in the hundred of Painscastle in the county of Radnor, South Wales, 6 miles to the W. of Hay, its post town. It is situated in a hilly, wooded, and beautiful country, on the east bank of the river Wye, at the "little ford" (bach-rhyd). The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value £213, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Cynog. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel in the village. The parish has a share in the Boughrood charity, founded about 1687 by Rees Powel, vicar. The chief residence is Boughrood Castle, a modern house, on the site of a castle, the moat of which still remains."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
BOUGHROOD (BACH-RHYD), a parish in the hundred of PAINSCASTLE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES,7 miles (W. by S.) from Hay, containing 354 inhabitants. It is beautifully situated on the eastern bank of the Wye, across which there is a ford, from which the name of the place, signifying " the little ford," has been derived, where a boat and horse are in constant attendance, and on the western bank of which passes the road from Hay to Builth. The village is delightfully embowered in wood, and sheltered by hills of moderate elevation; and on the opposite bank of the Wye, which just below the ferry-house makes the most remarkable horse-shoe bend in the whole of its course, gliding along its smooth bed in unruffled tranquillity, strongly opposed to the impetuosity which characterizes the earlier part of its course over its rocky channel, extends a more elevated ridge of hills, clothed to the summit with majestic timber. The parish is almost equally divided between hilly and level ground : the soil is very light on the hills, but rich and clayey on the banks of the Wye : the small stream called Bach-wy empties itself into the Wye near the village.
Of the ancient castellated mansion, called Boughrood Castle, the only remains are the moat and part of a wall: a spacious modern house, bearing the same name, was erected nearly on its site by the late Francis Fowkes, Esq., which, together with the estate, has recently been sold to Walter Wilkins, of Maeslough, Esq.
The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £12.6. 8., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's, who also presents to the prebend of Boughrood, otherwise Llanbedr-Painscastle, in Christ's College, Brecknock, which is only rated at 13s. 4d. The church, dedicated to St. Cynog, consists of a nave and chancel, and, like most of the village churches in this part of the country, is kept neatly white-washed. There is a place, of worship for Primitive Methodists. A Sunday school is superintended by a few of the parishioners. A rent-charge of £ 1. 4. on a tenement in this parish is annually distributed among the poor ; and £ 5 per annum is received from the charity founded by the Rev. Rees Powell, for apprenticing poor children. This pious, and benevolent individual, who was vicar of this parish, from which his benefactions to this and divers other parishes have been called the "Boughrood charity," died in 1687, and lies buried in the priory church of Brecknock, in the account of which town his charity is described. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £ 186. 6.
(Copied using the original books AND the Cd published by Archive CD Books)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 5 June 2005 Gareth Hicks]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996