We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"BRYNGWYN, a parish in the hundred of Painscastle, in the county of Radnor, South Wales, 5 miles to the N. of Hay. It lies near the head of the river Arrow. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's, of the value of £294, in the gift of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. The parochial charities amount to £9 a year."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions
BRYN-GWYN, a parish in the hundred of PAINSCASTLE, County of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (N.N.W.) from Hay, containing 364 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the small river Garrow, or Arrow, and contains some large tracts of fertile and productive land in a good state of cultivation, and a considerable portion of common, part of which is a turbary, called Rhos Goch, producing very fine peat, which is dug to the depth of fifteen feet from the surface. Beneath the peat are strata of blue clay and of a clay of a yellow hue, the latter abounding with sea shells, which crumble on the slightest touch : the layer is about two feet in depth, and appears to be incumbent on water, which rises up through the fissures occasionally made with the spade, and soon fills the whole cavity. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £ 11. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, consists of a nave and chancel, but is not distinguished by any architectural features deserving of notice. Richard Jones, in 1706, and an unknown benefactor, gave each a portion of land, directing the rental to be distributed among the poor of this parish. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £204.3.
(Copied using the original books AND the Cd published by Archive CD Books)