"BRYN-GWYN, a parish in the hundred of PAINSCASTLE, County of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (N.N.W.) from Hay, containing 364 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the small river Garrow, or Arrow, and contains some large tracts of fertile and productive land in a good state of cultivation, and a considerable portion of common, part of which is a turbary, called Rhos Goch, producing very fine peat, which is dug to the depth of fifteen feet from the surface. Beneath the peat are strata of blue clay and of a clay of a yellow hue, the latter abounding with sea shells, which crumble on the slightest touch : the layer is about two feet in depth, and appears to be incumbent on water, which rises up through the fissures occasionally made with the spade, and soon fills the whole cavity. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £ 11. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Michael,..........." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Rhosgoch Hermon Chapel
See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Michael's Church, Bryngwyn BRYNGWYN, St. Michael & All Angels 1872-1877 - on the Church plans online site
Church of St Michael, Bryngwyn on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Bryngwyn Parish; Statistics; Area 4536 acres; Population 146 males, 144 females, total 290
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries
Return to top
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[ 13 Nov 2013 - Gareth Hicks]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date