"BEGUILDY (BUGEILDY), a parish in the hundred of KNIGHTON, County of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 6 1/2 miles (N. W. by W.) from Knighton, comprising the upper and lower divisions, and containing 1043 inhabitants, of which number, 591 are in the upper, and 452 in the lower, division. This parish is situated on the river Teme, and, towards the north, borders on the county of Montgomery ; it is in general mountainous, but there is a long narrow tract of great fertility, .............................. the higher grounds command extensive and finely varied prospects over the counties of Radnor, Montgomery, and Salop. Part of the borough of Cnwclas is within this parish, the remainder being in that of Heyop, and the court-house in which the burgesses of that place are elected is situated in the township of Beguildy. The parish comprises four townships, namely, Beguildy, Crag y Byddar, Mudwalledd, and Pennant ; ........................The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £7.15.7 1/2., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, ,..........." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanfihangel Beguildy Parish; Statistics; Area 16645 acres; Population 549 males, 488, total 1037
Beguildy Parish Church Attendance - morning 40 "This Parish is about 15 miles in length, it's average breadth for 10 miles is about 2 1/2 miles, half of which only is enclosed. The Church is situated near the centre. The inhabitants of the Lower Division have the opportunity of attending the Churches of adjoining parishes, at a convenient distance. But parts of the Upper Division are from 4 to 6 miles distant from any church." 1 service in English Rich. Hamer, Vicar
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
Baptisms 1703-1986; Marriages 1703-1983; Burials 1703-1959; Banns 1850-1934
Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW and/or Powys Archives.
Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Bugeildy / Beguildy which are provided by:
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county