GENUKI Home page NeighboursNearby places
Radnorshire Radnorshire   Contents Contents

BUGEILDY / BEGUILDY

"BEGUILDY (BUGEILDY), a parish in the hundred of KNIGHTON, County of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 6 1/2 miles (N. W. by W.) from Knighton, comprising the upper and lower divisions, and containing 1043 inhabitants, of which number, 591 are in the upper, and 452 in the lower, division. This parish is situated on the river Teme, and, towards the north, borders on the county of Montgomery ; it is in general mountainous, but there is a long narrow tract of great fertility, .............................. the higher grounds command extensive and finely varied prospects over the counties of Radnor, Montgomery, and Salop. Part of the borough of Cnwclas is within this parish, the remainder being in that of Heyop, and the court-house in which the burgesses of that place are elected is situated in the township of Beguildy. The parish comprises four townships, namely, Beguildy, Crag y Byddar, Mudwalledd, and Pennant ; ........................The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at 7.15.7 1/2., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, ,..........."    ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Bibliography

Jones, Mary Elizabeth            The church and clergy of Beguildy Parish; notes and reminiscences       Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 34 1964         Welsh Journals Online

Noble, F         The Radnorshire MSS of DR John David Rhys (Sion Dafydd Rhys)            Radnorshire Society Transactions   Vol 26 1956          Welsh Journals Online  

Walker, Margaret S. From Beguildy to Rhosili : the story of the growth of the Mothers' Union within the diocese of Swansea and Brecon. [Swansea] : Swansea and Brecon Mothers Union, 1989. 90

Census

Victorian Powys for schools site - Census figures for Beguildy parish 1841-1901

Church History

Church of St Michael and All Angels, Beguildy on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site

The old church cleaner, Beguildy c 1910-1920   - on the People's Collection Wales site

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G   Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,  Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Llanfihangel Beguildy Parish; Statistics; Area 16645 acres; Population 549 males, 488, total 1037

Church Records

As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;

Gazetteers

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Maps

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Victorian Powys for schools site - Map of Beguildy in 1903, and c 1840

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Population

Parish population figures 1841-1901  - on Victorian Powys

Return to top

Bugeildy / Beguildy


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[ 13 Nov 2013  - Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.