GENUKI Home page
Cascob Cascob   Contents & Search Contents

CASCOB


National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"CASCOB, a parish partly in the hundred of Wigmore, in the county of Hereford, and partly in the borough of New Radnor, hundred and county of Radnor, South Wales, 6 miles to the W. of Presteign, its post town. It contains parts of the townships of Litton and Cascob. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. David's, value 190, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Michael."

"CASCOB, a township partly in the parish of Cascob, and partly in the parish of Presteigne, hundred and county of Radnor, South Wales, 2 miles to the W. of Presteign."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

CASCOB, a parish partly within the liberties of the borough of NEW RADNOR, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, and partly in a detached portion of the hundred of WIGMORE, county of HEREFORD, 5 miles (W.N.W.) from Presteign. The population is partly returned with the hamlet of Litton, and High and St. David's-street wards, in the parish of Presteign, and that part of the parish which is not so returned contains 121 inhabitants.

This parish, in Domesday-book called Coscope, contains three thousand two hundred and fifty acres of land, of which about eleven hundred and fifty are enclosed and in a state of cultivation. The soil is of various kinds, part being rich meadow and pasture land, part well adapted for tillage, and a large portion of a very inferior description. A small stream, called Cascob brook, rises in the parish, in two different sources, one in the, western part, and the other on the south-west side, the two branches uniting at a distance of about a mile from their respective springs, and forming first the boundary between the parishes of Cascob and Old Radnor, and subsequently that between the townships of Cascob and Litton with Cascob, and finally joining the river Lug. The surface of the parish is various, part being composed of a narrow plain, bordered by sloping ascents, and part rising gradually to a considerable elevation, and constituting part of the Forest of Radnor.

The township, of Cascob consists of the manors of Ackwood and Cwmygerwyn, which were formerly a part of the Marches, and belonged to the crown, being specifically reserved to it in the charter granted to the borough of New Radnor. On the enclosure of waste lands in this town-ship, pursuant to an act passed in the 53rd of George III., ten acres and three roods were assigned to the crown in Ackwood, and ninety acres and two roods at Cwmygerwyn, in lieu of manorial rights : both these allotments have since been alienated, the former to the Governors of Queen Anne's Bounty, for augmenting the benefice of Stow in Shropshire, and the latter to Richard Price, Esq. The manor of Litton and Cascob is parcel of that of Stapleton, and belongs to the Earl of Oxford: the mesne manor is the property of --- Bodenham, Esq.

The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at 7. 0. 7 1/2., endowed with 200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a small ancient structure, consisting of a nave, chancel, and a low tower, the last surmounted by a shed, containing two bells. On an elevated situation in the western part of this parish, bordering on that of New Radnor, there is a low mound of dark peat earth, called the Black Mixen ; and near the junction of the two brooks, on the south-west side of the western portion of the parish, is the site of an ancient mansion, surrounded by a moat, enclosing a circular area more than one hundred feet in diameter : the present house called " The Moat" is built within the ancient moat, on the north-west side of the area : there is a slight embankment on the edge of this area, which is highest on the western side, probably constructed for defence. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is 23. 10.

(Copied using  the Cd published by Archive CD Books)


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 12 June 2005  Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.