"CLYRO, a parish in the hundred of Painscastle, in the county of Radnor, South Wales, 1 mile N.W. of Hay, its post town. It is bounded on the S. and E. by the river Wye. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of St. David's, value with the curacy of Bettws-Clyro, £330, in the patronage of the bishop. The church contains an ancient piscina and font. Here are traces of a castle."
"BETTWS-CLYRO, (or Capel-bettws), a chapelry in the parish of Clyro, hundred of Painscastle, in the county of Radnor, South Wales, 3 miles from Hay. It is situated in a beautiful district on the river Wye."
CLYRO (CLAERWY), a parish in the hundred of PAINSCASTLE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 1 mile (N.W.) from Hay, containing 933 inhabitants. This parish, which is nearly four miles in breadth, extends for about seven miles along the banks of the river Wye, which separates it from the county of Brecknock, and borders also upon the county of Hereford, from which it is separated only by a narrow brook : the road from Brecknock, by way of Glasbury bridge, to Kington in Herefordshire passes through the village. Some vestiges of an ancient castle are discernible, the history of which is altogether unknown ; and a monastery was founded here, at a very early period, of which there are at present no remains, the only memorial of it being retained in the name of some lands, which probably belonged to it, and which, from that circumstance, were called "Tir y Myneich.''
There are several neat villas within the parish, two of which are the property of Thomas Baskerville Mynors Baskerville, Esq., and one, called Cabalva, the seat of William Davies, Esq. This parish constitutes the endowment of a prebend in the collegiate church of Brecknock, rated in the king's books at £7. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's.
The living is a discharged vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Bettws-Clyro annexed, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £ 6, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a tower, which, having been partly demolished, is covered with a shelving roof : the font is of considerable size, and there is a large piscina at the entrance, which formerly contained the holy water. The chancel was rebuilt in 1823, as appears by an inscription on a tablet over the door, by the Venerable Archdeacon Beynon, prebendary of Brecknock : it contains two neat marble tablets, one to the memory of the Rev. Edward Edwards, prebendary of Llanvaes, and vicar of Clyro, and the other to that of Sophia, only daughter of William Davies, Esq., of Cabalva : in the church also there is an elegant mural monument of white marble, ornamented with a female figure in relief, bending over an urn, to the memory of Elizabeth Williams, of Bronith Cottage. The chapel of Bettws-Clyro is about two miles distant from the parish church. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists near the village.
A parochial school, for the gratuitous instruction of poor children, is held in a room built by the voluntary contributions of the inhabitants, and is partly supported by an annual donation of £15, paid out of the poor's rate. Mrs. Gwynne, about the year 1773, bequeathed £ 600, the interest of which was to be applied in paying a school-master to teach poor children, of this parish, and also for clothing and apprenticing them ; but this charity is not now available to the purposes intended by the benevolent donor. Here is a mineral spring, the water of which is regarded as efficacious in the cure of diseases of the eye. The poor are supported by an average annual expenditure amounting to £ 378. 6.