[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"COLVA, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Radnor, in the county of Radnor, 5 miles S.W. of Radnor. It is situated on the river Edwy. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Glascomb, in the diocese of St. David's, in the patronage of the bishop. This place is in the possession of the crown."
COLVA, a parochial chapelry in the hundred and county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 9 miles (E. by N.) from Builth, containing 233 inhabitants. This place, which is situated on the river Edwy, and on the road leading. from Kington to Builth, appears to have been formerly only a hamlet, or chapelry, within the parish of Glascomb, in the church of which the inhabitants had pews appropriated to their use ; it is still, together with Rulen, partially dependent upon that parish, as the inhabitants of both contribute to the repairs of the church of Glascomb; but in all civil matters they are independent parishes. Colva, in the king's books, is described as a chapel to Glascomb, of the certified value of £ 10 : the great tithes of the whole are an impropriation belonging to the Bishop of St. David's, and the vicar of Glascomb receives the small tithes of each, holding both Colva and Rulen by the same presentation, institution, and induction, as Glascomb. The chapel of Colva, like the church of Glascomb, is dedicated to St. David.
The chapelry contains nine hundred acres of enclosed, and one thousand acres of unenclosed, land : it is chiefly of a hilly character, and the soil is not very productive. The greater part is the property of the crown, but there is a small manor belonging to the owner of Harpton Court. A farm called Ty 'n y Waun, in the parish of Llandeglay, in this county, was purchased with the amount of benefactions made by Evan and Ann Griffiths, in 1721, and is now let for £ 18 per annum, which is equally divided among the poor of Colva, Llandeglay, and Llanvihangel Nant Melan. The late Mr. James Chambers, of this place, also bequeathed £ 60, since laid out in mortgage on a tenement in the parish of Kington, in Herefordshire, producing £3 per annum, which is distributed in bread among the poor of Colva, at Easter and Christmas. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £213.4.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)