" COLVA, a parochial chapelry in the hundred and county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 9 miles (E. by N.) from Builth, containing 233 inhabitants. This place, which is situated on the river Edwy, and on the road leading. from Kington to Builth, appears to have been formerly only a hamlet, or chapelry, within the parish of Glascomb, in the church of which the inhabitants had pews appropriated to their use ; it is still, together with Rulen, partially dependent upon that parish, as the inhabitants of both contribute to the repairs of the church of Glascomb; but in all civil matters they are independent parishes. Colva, in the king's books, is described as a chapel to Glascomb, of the certified value of £ 10 : the great tithes of the whole are an impropriation belonging to the Bishop of St. David's, and the vicar of Glascomb receives the small tithes of each, holding both Colva and Rulen by the same presentation, institution, and induction, as Glascomb. The chapel of Colva, like the church of Glascomb, is dedicated to St. David. ........" ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Church of St David, Colva on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Colva St Davids
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Colva Parochial Chapelry; Statistics; Area 2293 acres; Population 96 males, 88 females, total 184
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
Will of John Vaughan of Colva, 1624 - abstract on Hugh Wallis's site from LDS transcriptons
Ruined farm in hills above Colva - on the Cistercian Way site
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries
Return to top
Colfa / Colva
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[ 13 Nov 2013 - Gareth Hicks]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date