GENUKI Home page

Disserth Disserth   Contents & Search Contents

DISSERTH


National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"DISSERTH, a parish in the hundred of Colwyn, in the county of Radnor, 4 miles N.W. of Builth. It is situated on the river Wye, and contains Howey and Trecoed. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's, value with the rectory of Bettws-Disserth, 310, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Cewydd. The charities amount to 2 per annum."

"HOWEY, a village in the parish of Disserth, county Radnor, 5 miles N. of Builth. It is situated near the river Ithon."

"TRECOED, a township in the parish of Disserth, hundred of Colwyn, county Radnor, 6 miles S.W. of New Radnor, near Maes Madoc."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

DISSERTH (DISERTH), a parish in the hundred of COLWYN, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (N.) from Builth, comprising the townships of Disserth and Tre'r Coed, each of which separately supports its own poor, and containing 610 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the banks of the river Wye, which is not navigable in this part of its course ; and is intersected by the turnpike roads from Builth, in the county of Brecknock, to Newtown, in Montgomeryshire, and to Aberystwith, in the county of Cardigan.

A place called Llechryd, situated within its limits, has generally been considered the scene of the celebrated victory, gained by Rhos ab Tewdwr, the rightful prince of South Wales, at the head of his Irish forces, over the usurping princes of Powys, the three sons of Bleddyn ab Cynvyn; but this event may, with greater probability, be referred to Llechryd near Cardigan, on the banks of the river Teivy.

The general surface of the parish is gently undulating, with the exception of a range of hills called Carneddau, which rise to a considerable height, and command an extensive and interesting prospect over the northern parts of the county of Brecknock, and a considerable portion of that of Radnor. The soil is in general fertile ; and the lands, which are for the greater part enclosed, are in a good state of cultivation. The scenery of the parish is pleasingly varied, but not particularly striking ; and as, with the exception of the Carneddau, there are few hills of any height, the views of the surrounding country are rather confined. The Carneddau hills afford good pasturage to numerous flocks of sheep, of which the wool is of very superior quality and highly esteemed. Fairs were annually held, on Hawey common, on the Saturdays before the 11th of February, the 11th of May, and the 11th of November, chiefly for the sale of live stock, but they have fallen into disuse.

The living is a rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Bettws-Disserth annexed, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at 16, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Cewydd, is a spacious and venerable structure, consisting of a nave, chancel, and a lofty tower, crowned with turrets, which, from being white-washed, forms a conspicuous object in the distant view, but loses much of its original character upon nearer inspection. The rectory-house was burnt down, and has not been rebuilt ; there is only half an acre of glebe. A charity school is supported by the subscriptions of a few benevolent individuals : it is in contemplation to erect a schoolroom, and to increase the number of children, who will be taught on the National plan. Ezekiel Williams, in 1762, bequeathed 40 to the poor not receiving parochial relief. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to 372. 15., of which sum the portion raised by the township of Disserth is 187. 9.

 

TRE'RCOED

TRE'RCOED, a township in the parish of DISSERTH, hundred of COLWYN, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 4 1/2 miles (N. N. E.) from Builth, containing 276 inhabitants. This township is bounded on the north by a stream which falls into the river Ithon, and near which is Maes Madoc, celebrated as the scene of one of the last engagements between Prince Llewelyn ab Grufydd and the English. On an elevated common are some square fortifications, conjectured to have been British, notwithstanding their form. The poor are maintained by a separate assessment, the average annual expenditure amounting to 185. 6.

 

(Copied using  the Cd published by Archive CD Books)


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 23 Oct 2005  Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI