[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"GLADESTRY, a parish in the hundred of Radnor, county Radnor, South Wales, 4 miles S.E. of New Radnor, and 5 S.W. of Kington, its post town. It is situated on the river Gwyddel, and includes the hamlets of Hengoed and Wainwen. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's, value £355, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. Gladestry Court is the principal residence."
"HENGOED, a township in the parish of Gladestry, county Radnor, 5 miles S. of Radnor."
"WAINWEN, a township in the parish of Gladestry, county Radnor, 4 miles S.E. of New Radnor."
GLADESTRY, a parish in the hundred and county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Kington, containing 385 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Gwyddel, and is intersected by a cross road from Hay to the borough of New Radnor. The old enclosed lands are in a good state of cultivation : in 1810, an act of parliament was obtained, in conjunction with the parish of Colva, for the enclosure of a common lying partly within the limits of each. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £ 12. 19. 4 1/2., and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small neat edifice, consisting of a nave, chancel, and one aisle, with a tower surmounted by a low spire, and containing five bells. A small school in the village, for the gratuitous instruction of the poor, is supported by the principal occupiers of land in the parish. Mrs. Cassandra Davies, in 1635, bequeathed land producing £5 per annum, and an annual benefaction of £ 1, secured upon the turnpike trust, to the poor of this parish not receiving parochial relief; and the sum of £ 50 was also bequeathed by an uuknown benefactor for the relief of poor housekeepers. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £296. 1.
WEYTHEL (GWYTHEL), a township, partly in the parish of GLADESTRY, hundred of RADNOR, and partly in the parish of OLD RADNOR, within the liberties of the town of NEW RADNOR, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (S. E. by S.) from New Radnor. The population is included in the return for the respective parishes. The Weythel brook, on which there are several mills, and which is crossed by the road from Kington, flows through it, in a narrow vale exhibiting various detached plantations. Lady Hartstongue bequeathed a considerable plot of land for the instruction of poor children of this township.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)