GENUKI Home page NeighboursNearby places
Radnorshire Radnorshire   Contents Contents

LLANFAIR LLYTHYFNWG / GLADESTRY

"GLADESTRY, a parish in the hundred and county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Kington, containing 385 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Gwyddel, and is intersected by a cross road from Hay to the borough of New Radnor..............The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at 12. 19. 4 1/2., and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The church, dedicated to St. Mary............A small school in the village, for the gratuitous instruction of the poor, is supported by the principal occupiers of land in the parish.................The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is 296. 1.,........."  ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Bibliography

Banks, Lawrence     Three houses on one estate           Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 72 2002    Welsh Journals Online

Biggerton-Evans, Kathleen A. History and description of Gladestry Church and parish. Gladestry : St. Mary's Church, [1992?]. 16p

Davies, D Stedman Rev.          Some notes on Gladestry             Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 10  1940       Welsh Journals Online

Hughes, Robert. Gladestry 1900-1999 : a century of change. Kington : Gladestry Millennium Publications, 2000. 200p

Hughes, Robert. Sickness and health in a Radnorshire school : Gladestry School 1877-1890 and 1983-1996.       Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 67 1997    Welsh Journals Online

Hughes, Robert. A village with two names: the names of Gladestry.      Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 68 1998    Welsh Journals Online

Oliver, R C B       James Crummer of Howey Hall, Esquire, 1749-1821         Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 59 1989    Welsh Journals Online

Sinclair, J B & R W D Fenn    James Watt, father and son, and Radnorshire            Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 62 1992    Welsh Journals Online

Sinclair, J B & R W D Fenn            Mr Watt buys some farms           Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 64 1994    Welsh Journals Online & vol. 65 1995    Welsh Journals Online

Census

Victorian Powys for schools site - Census figures for Gladestry parish 1841-1901

Church History

Church of St Mary, Gladestry on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site

See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Mary's Church

See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re Zion Baptist Chapel, Gladestry

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G   Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,  Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Gladestry Parish; Statistics; Area 3798 acres; Population 187 males, 175 females, total 362

Church Records

Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers

As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;

Gazetteers

Maps

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Schools

Powys - A Day in the Life - Gladestry School

 

Return to top

Llanfair Llythyfnwg / Gladestry


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[ 14 Nov 2013 - Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI