Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Ciltwrch (in Glasbury)
The main parish page for Glasbury with the usual information is maintained under Breconshire
This page is simply a reminder that part of Glasbury parish was in Radnorshire being on the north side of the River Wye
- Glasbury parish is divided between Radnorshire and Brecknockshire ; before October 1844 the whole parish was in Radnorshire ( Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).
- GLASBURY, a parish partly in the hundred of Talgarth, county Brecon, and partly in that of Painscastle, county Radnor (The 1868 National Gazetteer)
Howse, W H Notes on the history of Glasbury Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 18 1948 Welsh Journals Online
Silvester, R J & R Hankinson Clas, church and village at Glasbury Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 73 2003 Welsh Journals Online
Sylvester, Dorothy Glasbury, Norton, and the problem of the nucleated village in Radnorshire Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 37 1967 Welsh Journals Online
- All Saints, Cwmbach, Church in Wales
- Old Church, Glasbury , Church in Wales
- Llanwhimp Primitive Methodist Chapel / Ebenezer Chapel, Llanywhimp, Primitive Methodist
- New Zion Methodist Chapel, Moity Road, Moity, Primitive Methodist
- Glasbury Wesleyan Methodist Church / Cwmbach Chapel, Boughrood Road, Cwmbach, Wesleyan Methodist
- Maes-Yr-Onnen Congregational Chapel, Ffynnon Gynnydd Road, Maesyronen, Other
- Glasbury Congregational / URC Chapel, The Green, Glasbury, United Reformed
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Ciltwrch (in Glasbury) area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Maesyronen and Glasbury sections (in Welsh) have been extracted - with translation by Maureen Saycell (June 2009)
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Ciltwrch (in Glasbury) which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Ciltwrch (in Glasbury) has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO160402 (Lat/Lon: 52.053759, -3.226495), Ciltwrch (in Glasbury) which are provided by: