Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"GLASCOMB, or GLASCWM (GLAS-GWM), a parish in the hundred of COLWYN, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 8 miles (E.) from Builth, on the road to Kington, comprising the joint township of Drewern and Vainor, and containing 514 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the west by the river Edw, or Edwy, famous for its trout, comprises an area of about five thousand acres, of which three thousand are enclosed, and the remainder waste, being applied only to the pasturage of sheep, of which great numbers are fed upon it. .................In the village stands Glascomb Court, the picturesque residence of Samuel Bevan, Esq., .................: the village and mansion are situated at the extremity of a little dingle,..........................The living is a Vicarage, with Colva and Rulen consolidated, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £ 13. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's, as owner of the impropriate rectory. The church, dedicated to St. David, "........." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)
- Fenn, R W D & J B Sinclair Continuity & change; a Welsh border parish and its clergy, 1730-1900 Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 57 1987 Welsh Journals Online
- Howse, W H Notes on Glascwm Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 21 1951 Welsh Journals Online
- Howse, W H The Lewis family of Glascwm Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 23 1953 Welsh Journals Online
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St David's Church
Church of St David, Glascwm on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Glascomb Parish consisting of Drewern Township and Vaynor-Glare Township; Statistics; Area 6984 acres; Population 280 males, 244 females, total 524
- Drewern Township
- Glascombe Parish Church Attendance - evening 34 1 service in English David Vaughan, Curate
- Bethell, Duwern Township, Baptist Attendance - morning 80, evening 50 "The reason for the congregation being small on Sunday last was the visit of an Eminent Minister to a Neighbouring Chappel" Richard Rogers, Minister, Llangoverous, Glascomb
- Vaynor-Glare Township
- Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Not a separate building and not used exclusively as a place of worship Attendance - afternoon 41 John James, Minister, Newchurch
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
- Baptisms 1679-1797, 1813-1992; Marriages 1679-1971; Burials 1679-1797, 1813-1991
Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW and/or Powys Archives.
Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW
You can see pictures of Glasgwm which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Glasgwm has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Return to top
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO158531 (Lat/Lon: 52.169682, -3.232605), Glasgwm which are provided by: