"GLASCOMB, or GLASCWM (GLAS-GWM), a parish in the hundred of COLWYN, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 8 miles (E.) from Builth, on the road to Kington, comprising the joint township of Drewern and Vainor, and containing 514 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the west by the river Edw, or Edwy, famous for its trout, comprises an area of about five thousand acres, of which three thousand are enclosed, and the remainder waste, being applied only to the pasturage of sheep, of which great numbers are fed upon it. .................In the village stands Glascomb Court, the picturesque residence of Samuel Bevan, Esq., .................: the village and mansion are situated at the extremity of a little dingle,..........................The living is a Vicarage, with Colva and Rulen consolidated, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £ 13. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's, as owner of the impropriate rectory. The church, dedicated to St. David, "........." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St David's Church
Church of St David, Glascwm on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Glascomb Parish consisting of Drewern Township and Vaynor-Glare Township; Statistics; Area 6984 acres; Population 280 males, 244 females, total 524
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
Aerial photograph of Colwyn Castle, Glascwm - on the People's Collection Wales site
Glasgwm War Memorial - on the Roll of Honour site
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries
Return to top
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[ 14 Nov 2013 - Gareth Hicks]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date