[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"HEYOP, a parish in the hundred of Knighton, county Radnor, 3 miles from Knighton, and 10 from New Radnor. This parish is included within the liberty of Knuckles, one of the contributory boroughs to New Radnor. The village is very small, consisting of a few farmhouses. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's, value £118, in the patronage of the bishop. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. Doleyvelin is the principal residence."
"KNUCKLASS, (or Cnwclas), a municipal and parliamentary borough in the parishes of Beguildy and Heyop, county Radnor, 2 miles N. of Knighton. It is a crown manor, and had formerly a castle of the Mortimers, built in 1242. Although but a small village, situated on the river Teme, which rises a few miles distant, at the foot of Fynnon-menyn, it has the privileges of a borough, and is governed by a bailiff, burgesses, and other officers. It is a contributory borough to Radnor, in returning one member to parliament. In the vicinity is Dol-y-Felin, an old seat of the Richardses. Vavasour Powell, the Nonconformist preacher, was born here. The surrounding country is hilly and barren, part being an extensive common."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions
HEYOP, a parish in the hundred of KNIGHTON, county of RADNOR, SoUTH WALES, 2 1/2 miles (W. N. W.) from Knighton, containing 187 inhabitants. This parish is divided into two portions, of which the eastern forms part of the borough of Cnwclas, the remainder of which is in the parish of Beguildy, and the western part of the township of Cwm Heyop, of which the remainder is in the parish of Llangunllo. It is pleasantly situated near the river Teme, and contains upwards of eight hundred acres of enclosed, and between two and three hundred acres of unenclosed, land: the surface is boldly undulated, and the soil generally fertile, forming excellent pasture and meadow land in the vales, and good arable land on the sides of the hills : it is watered by a rivulet which takes its name from the parish. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified, and from the higher grounds some good views are obtained. The only seat within the parish is Do1 y Velin, formerly the, residence of the late John Pritchard, Esq., and now the property of J. S. Bodenham, Esq., but unoccupied.
The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £5. 6. 8., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. David, is a small ancient edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a low tower, containing three bells. The Rev. John Davies, D. D., in 1741, gave £50 for the benefit of the poor not receiving parochial relief ; and the Rev. John Foley, and Anne his wife, by deed, gave a certain portion of land, the produce of which, together with the interest of the former sum, making a total of £3. 16. per annum, is distributed weekly in bread to the poor frequenting the church. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £49. 10.
CNWCLAS, a borough partly in the parish of BEGUILDY, but chiefly in that of HEYOP, of which latter it constitutes a division, in the hundred of KNIGHTON, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 2 1/2 miles (N. W. by W.) from Knighton. The population is returned with the respective parishes. This place is pleasantly situated near the right bank of the Teme, which here separates Radnorshire from Shropshire, and had formerly a castle, originally built by Ralph Mortimer, about the year 1242, on the summit of a conical artificial mound. The village consists of about a dozen cottages, situated not very close to each other : the manor belongs to the crown. There is a considerable extent of pasture land in the vicinity, especially near the river Teme, the cattle fed on which are principally taken to the market at Knighton, and to Bishop's Castle in Shropshire. The borough is under the superintendence of a bailiff and burgesses, the latter of whom are made by a presentation of a jury of burgesses, selected by the steward of the manor. Jointly with Kevenlleece, Knighton, Rhaiadr, and (by the late act for amending the representation of the people) Presteign, it contributes, with Radnor, to return a representative to parliament : the right of voting was formerly vested in the burgesses at large, many of whom are resident within seven miles of the borough, but is now, by the late act, vested in the resident burgesses only, if duly qualified according to the provisions of the act, and in every male person of full age occupying, either as owner or as tenant under the same landlord, a house or other premises of the annual value of not less than ten pounds, provided he be capable of registering as the act directs : the number of tenements valued at ten pounds a year and upwards, within the limits , of the borough, which were not altered by the late boundary act, is seventeen. The court-house, where the burgesses are created, is situated in that part of the borough which is in the parish of Beguildy. The Rev. Vavasour Powell, who distinguished himself in the civil and religious disputes of the seventeenth century, more particularly in connexion with the Welsh non-conformists, was a native of this borough.
(Copied using the original books AND the Cd published by Archive CD Books)