"HEYOP, a parish in the hundred of KNIGHTON, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 2 1/2 miles (W. N. W.) from Knighton, containing 187 inhabitants. This parish is divided into two portions, of which the eastern forms part of the borough of Cnwclas, the remainder of which is in the parish of Beguildy, and the western part of the township of Cwm Heyop, of which the remainder is in the parish of Llangunllo. It is pleasantly situated near the river Teme, and contains upwards of eight hundred acres of enclosed, and between two and three hundred acres of unenclosed, land: ................The only seat within the parish is Do1 y Velin, formerly the, residence of the late John Pritchard, Esq., and now the property of J. S. Bodenham, Esq., but unoccupied. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £5. 6. 8., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. David........" ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Victorian Powys for schools site - Census figures for Heyope parish 1841-1901
Church of St David, Heyop on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Heyhop Parish including part of the Township of Heyhop; Statistics; Area 1180 acres; Population 95 males, 74 females, total 169
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries
Heyope around 1840 & 1903 - on the Victorian Powys site
Return to top
Llanddewi-yn-Heiob / Heyope
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[ 14 Nov 2013 - Gareth Hicks]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date