"LLANANNO, a parish in the hundred of Knighton, county Radnor, 9 miles N.W. of Rhayader, and 12 W. of Knighton. Newtown Montgomery is its post town. It is situated on the river Ithon. Here is a spring of chalybeate water. A large portion of the parish is open common. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, value with that of Llanbadarn-Vynydd annexed, £150, in the patronage of the chancellor of the Collegiate Church at Brecon. The church is dedicated to St. Wonno. In the neighbourhood are some traces of Castle Dynbod, a fortress of great strength, reduced to ruins by Llewellyn-ap-Gruffydd, in 1240, also Fort Ty-yny-Bwlch."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
LLANANO (LLAN-ANNO), a parish partly in the hundred of KNIGHTON, and partly in that of RHAIADR, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 12 1/2 miles (W.) from Knighton, containing 343 inhabitants. The surface of this parish is uneven, and in some parts even precipitously hilly : the lands are partly enclosed and cultivated, and the soil in these portions is generally fertile and productive. The scenery is for the most part of a soft and pleasing character ; and from the higher grounds may be obtained some extensive views over the adjacent country. The turnpike road from Builth, in Brecknockshire, to Newtown, in the county of Montgomery, passes through the parish a little to the east of the church. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £600 royal bounty and £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Prebendary of Llanbister in the collegiate church of Brecknock, although Lord Kensington, who is lessee of the tithes, has of late exercised this privilege. The church, dedicated to St. Wonno or Ano, is a small edifice, undistinguished by any remarkable architectural features, but beautifully situated on the bank of the river Ithon. There is a place of worship for Anabaptists. On the summit of a rocky eminence rising abruptly from the river Ithon, and commanding the entrance of a narrow defile, are the remains of an ancient castle, called "Ty yn y Bwlch," probably one of the residences of the ancient chieftains of Maenlinydd. Within the limits of the parish is a mineral spring, called Fynnon Newydd, or " the New Well," the water of which is sulphureous, and efficacious in the cure of scorbutic and scrophulous diseases. The average annual expenditure for the sup-port of the poor is £ 138. 15.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 18 July 2005 Gareth Hicks]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996