Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
" LLANBADARN-VAWR (LLAN-BADARN-VAWR), a parish in the hundred of KEVENLLEECE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, comprising the village of Pen y Bont, ........................... containing 491 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Ithon : the high road from Builth to Newtown runs through it, ............... : the only mansion is Pen y Bont Hall, the residence of I. C. Severn, Esq. ; ................ The village of Pen y Bont, the post-Office at which is dependent on those at Kington and Rhaiadr,................... The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £7. 12. 6., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Paternus, is situated about a mile and a half from Pen y Bont, ................There are places of worship for Anabaptists and Calvinistic Methodists, ............ There are two small bequests of ten shillings per annum each for the poor, one paid out of the tenement of Cwm Trallong, in this parish, and the other out of a farm called Lluest, in that of Llandewi Ystradenny. Near Pen y Bont there is a chalybeate spring, .............. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 185. 9............" ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Church of St Padarn, Llanbadarn Fawr on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site
See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Padarn's Church - also Welsh Chapels and Churches
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanbadarn-fawr Parish; Statistics; Area 3646 acres; Population 221 males, 212 females, total 433
- Llanbadarn Fawr Parish Church Attendance - (average) morning 100, afternoon 200 William E Jones, Curate
- Penybont Chapel, Calvinistic Methodists Erected 1822 Attendance - (average) morning 90 scholars, evening 170 Ebenezer Williams, Calvs Methodist Minister, Mission House, Penybont
- Rock, Baptist Erected before 1800 Attendance - (average) morning 20 scholars, evening 90 John Jones, Baptist Minister, Penybont, Rock
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
- Baptisms 1696-1778, 1781-1911; Marriages 1696-1795, 1797-1971; Burials 1696-1778, 1781-1919
Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW and/or Powys Archives.
Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Llanbadarn Fawr which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llanbadarn Fawr has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Parc Bach or Little Park, Llanbadarn Fawr, deeds 1787-1880
- Pen-y-bont Hall Papers 1673-1947 "Penybont Hall, Llanbadarn Fawr, Radnorshire, was built by John Price (1723-1798), banker. He built up a sizeable estate, including the manor of Golon, Abbey Cwm-Hir, purchased in 1790, and other properties in Radnorshire and in Ludlow, Shropshire..............."
- Salwey and Rickards, Solicitors, Records "Deeds and related papers, 1606-1871, relating to assorted parishes in Radnorshire and Herefordshire, including deeds for lands in the parishes of Llanbadarn Fawr and Llanddewi Ystradenni, Radnorshire, 1625-1812; Bleddfa, Radnorshire, 1606-1730"
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO068642 (Lat/Lon: 52.268000, -3.367225), Llanbadarn Fawr which are provided by: