GENUKI Home page
Llanbadarn Fawr Llanbadarn Fawr   Contents & Search Contents

LLANBADARN FAWR


National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LLANBADARN FAWR, a parish in the hundred of Cefnllys, or Kevenlleece, county Radnor, 8 miles S.E. of Rhayader, 10 N.E. of New Radnor, and 3 from Penibont, its post town. It is situated on the river Ithon, and includes the townships of Brinhyfedd Cellws and Penybont. It was formerly a seat of the Severn family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's, value 268, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Padarn, or Paternus, Bishop of Llanbadarn, who was one of the three principal saints of the Welsh calendar. There are small charities of about 1 a year."

"CELLWS, a hamlet in the parish of Llanbadarn-fawr, in the county of Radnor, 7 miles S.E. of Rhayader."

"PEN-Y-BONT, a hamlet in the parish of Llanbadarn-Fawr, hundred of Cefnllys, county Radnor, 8 miles S.E. of Rhayader, and 7 W. by N. of Radnor. It is situated at the new bridge on the river Ithon. The principal residence is Pen-y-Bont Hall of the Severns. In the vicinity is Llandegley Spa."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

LLANBADARN-VAWR (LLAN-BADARN-VAWR), a parish in the hundred of KEVENLLEECE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, comprising the village of Pen y Bont, where there is a receiving-house for letters, and containing 491 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Ithon : the high road from Builth to Newtown runs through it, passing close by the church, within a few hundred yards of which it is crossed by that from Kington to Rhaiadr and Aberystwith, which also traverses it. The surface is for the most part irregular, and the soil in the low lands consists chiefly of clay : the only mansion is Pen y Bont Hall, the residence of  I. C. Severn, Esq. ; and Pen y Bont Court is a genteel residence, forming from its elevated situation a pleasing object. The village of Pen y Bont, the post-Office at which is dependent on those at Kington and Rhaiadr, consists only of about a dozen houses, one of them an excellent inn, at which the petty sessions for the hundred of Kevenlleece are occasionally held. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at 7. 12. 6., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Paternus, is situated about a mile and a half from Pen y Bont, and consists of a nave and chancel; the latter ceiled, with an entrance porch : the churchyard contains some fine yew trees. There are places of worship for Anabaptists and Calvinistic Methodists, the former of which is endowed with a portion of land. There are two small bequests of ten shillings per annum each for the poor, one paid out of the tenement of Cwm Trallong, in this parish, and the other out of a farm called Lluest, in that of Llandewi Ystradenny. Near Pen y Bont there is a chalybeate spring, which is not in high repute, being but little known. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is 185. 9.

(Copied using  the Cd published by Archive CD Books)


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 18 July 2005  Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI