[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LLANBADARN FYNYDD, a parish in the hundred of Knighton, county Radnor, 8 miles S. of Newtown, its post town, and 12 N.W. of Knighton. It is situated in a hilly district for the most part barren, with tracts of pasture land. The rivers Ithon, Teme, and Aran flow through it. Near the village, which is small, is Camnant Bridge, across the Ithon, leading into Montgomery shire. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to that of Llananno, in the diocese of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. Padarn. The charities amount to about £2 per annum. In the vicinity are the remains of a very strong fortress, called Castle Dynbod, demolished by Llewellyn-ap-Grufydd in 1240."
LLANBADARN-VYNYDD (LLAN-BADARN-VYNYDD), a parish in the hundred of KNIGHTON, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 10 miles (S.) from Newtown, containing 518 inhabitants. The aspect of this parish, which is situated on the banks of the Ithon, in a mountainous district., is dreary and wild ; and the scenery, though bold and striking, is not diversified with features either of beauty or of interest. The mountains, notwithstanding their appearance of barrenness, afford pasturage to numerous flocks of sheep. An excellent and commodious inn has been recently erected in the village, which is enlivened by the traffic it derives from its situation on the turnpike road from Builth, in Brecknockshire, to Newtown in the county of Montgomery. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £ 600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Prebendary of Llanbister in the Collegiate Church of Brecknock, although Lord Kensington, who is lessee of the tithes, has recently presented to it. The church, dedicated to St. Padarn, or Paternus, is a small edifice, consisting only of a nave and chancel, and possessing no architectural claims to particular description. The produce of some inconsiderable charitable benefactions is annually distributed among the poor of the parish. There is a well called Fynnon Ddewi, or " David's Well," the water of which is slightly impregnated with sulphur, and is considered efficacious in the cure of scorbutic complaints. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 244. 12.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)