|Llanbadarn y Garreg||Contents|
"LLANBADARN-Y-GARREG, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Colwyn, county Radnor, 5 miles S.E. of Builth, its post town, and 8 S.W. of New Radnor. It is situated on the river Edw, a branch of the Wye. There is no village, only a few scattered houses. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the rectory of Cregrina, in the diocese of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. Padarn. There are charities producing about £13 per annum."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
LLANBADARN Y GARREG (LLAN-BADARN-Y-GAREG), a parish in the hundred of COLWYN, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (E. S. E.) from Builth, containing 98 inhabitants. This parish comprises only about three hundred acres of enclosed land, and is situated on the small river Edwy, by which it is intersected, and of which the stream is here very narrow. The living is annexed to the rectory of Caregrina, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Padarn, is an ancient structure, consisting of a nave and chancel, which are appropriately fitted up for divine service : it has no tower or steeple, but a single bell is suspended under a small shed.. There is a place of worship for Welsh Calvinistic Methodists. A rent-charge of of £12, on a farm called Llanola, in this parish, was bequeathed by a Mrs. Gwynne of that place, to, be annually distributed among the poor of the parishes of Aberedwy, Llanvareth, and Llanbadarn y Garreg ; and an unknown benefactor also gave £10 in money, producing ten shillings per annum, for the relief of decayed housekeepers of this parish. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £59.6.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 19 July 2005 Gareth Hicks]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996