GENUKI Home page NeighboursNearby places
Radnorshire Radnorshire   Contents Contents

LLANBEDR CASTELL-PAEN / LLANBEDR PAINSCASTLE

"LLANBEDR - PAINSCASTLE (LLAN-BEDR-PAIN'S-CASTLE), a parish in the hundred of PAINSCASTLE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 6 1/2 miles (N. W. by W.) from Hay, containing 356 inhabitants. This parish derives the distinguishing adjunct to its name from a fortress called Pain's Castle, anciently situated within its limits, .............................A village was also built by De Paine ..............................Of this strong fortress there are now no remains, except the moat which surrounded the site ; and the town of Painscastle,.........has dwindled into an insignificant village. The parish, comprising about four thousand acres,..................... Fairs for horses, sheep, and horned cattle, are held annually on May 12th, September 22nd, and December 15th, in the township of Painscastle,...........: the petty sessions for the hundred are occasionally held here. This parish, with that of Boughrood, constitutes the prebend of Llanbedr-Painscastle, or Boughrood, in the collegiate church of Brecknock, rated in the king's books at only 13s. 4d., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, endowed with 600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Prebendary :.............. The church, dedicated to St. Peter,.....................here is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is 258.............."  ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Census

Victorian Powys for schools site - Census figures for Llanbedr Painscastle parish 1841-1901

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Painscastle Lanbedr Adullam Baptist Chapel LLANBEDR PAINSCASTLE, St. Peter  1868-1879 -o n the Church plans online site

Church of St Peter, Llanbedr Painscastle on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Hermon/Painscastle  section (in Welsh) has been extracted - with translation by Maureen Saycell (Aug 2009)

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G   Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,  Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Llanbedr-Painscastle Parish; Statistics; Area 3877 acres; Population 176 males, 146 females, total 322

Church Records

Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers

As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;

Description and Travel

Painscastle castle - on Castle Wales

Painscastle - on Wikipedia

Gazetteers

Land and Property

Cutaway drawing of Upper House, Llanbedr Painscastle - on the People's Collection Wales site

Maps

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

 

Return to top

Llanbedr Castell-Paen / Llanbedr Painscastle


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[  15 Nov 2013 - Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI