GENUKI Home page
Llanbister Llanbister   Contents & Search Contents

LLANBISTER


National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LLANBISTER, a parish in the hundred of Knighton, county Radnor, 8 miles N.E. of Rhayader, and 10 from New Radnor. It is situated in a hilly district, on the river Ithon, and includes the townships of Bronllis, Caroge, Cevenpawl, or Church, Cwmlechwedd, Cwmgaist, Gollan, and Llanbister, and is divided into Upper and Lower Llanbister. The village, which is considerable, is neatly built. The tithes of Upper Llanbister were commuted in 1839. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of St. David's, value 148, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Kynlog. There is also the district church of Abbey-cwm-hir, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value 60. The Baptists have a chapel in the village. The charities amount to about 8 per annum. One of the schools has an endowment of 4 per annum. There is a spring of chalybeate water in the neighbourhood."

"BRONLLIS, a township in the parish of Llanbister, hundred of Knighton, in the county of Radnor, South Wales, 10 miles to the W. of Knighton. It is near the head of the river Ithon, a branch of, the Wye."

"CAROGE, a township in the parish of Llanbister, hundred of Knighton, in the county of Radnor, South Wales, 10 miles to the W. of Knighton."

"CHURCH, a township in the parish of Llanbister, in the county of Radnor, 11 miles W. of Knighton."

"CWMGAIST, a hamlet in the parish of Llanbister, in the county of Radnor, 9 miles N.W. of Knighton."

"CWMLECHWEDD, a township in the parish of Llanbister, in the county of Radnor, 11 miles N.W. of Knighton."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

LLANBISTER, a parish in the hundred of KNIGHTON, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 12 miles (W.) from Knighton, containing 1508 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Ithon, and extends nearly fifteen miles in length, with an average breadth of two miles. The surface is in some parts almost mountainous, and the surrounding scenery is in general of a pleasing character. From the higher grounds are some fine and extensive prospects ; and the village, as it is approached from the south-west, assumes, from its situation on a gradual ascent, with timber of luxuriant growth in the back ground, a beautifully picturesque appearance. The lands are partially enclosed and in a good state of cultivation, and the inhabitants are generally employed in agriculture. The turnpike road from Builth in Brecknockshire to Newtown, in the county of Montgomery, passes through the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at 6. 11. 5 1/2., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Kynlog, is a small ancient edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, Well pewed and paved, with a tower, which, according to tradition, having been partly destroyed by lightning, about a century ago, is now reduced to one-half of its original elevation. There is a place of worship for Welsh Calvinistic Methodists. A Sunday school, which is supported by subscription, is held occasionally for the gratuitous instruction of poor children; and a small charitable bequest of 2 per annum, secured upon an estate called the Vron, in this parish, is annually distributed, according to the will of the donor, among the poor of this and the adjacent parishes of Llanano, Llanbadarn-Vynydd, Llandewi-Ystradenny, and Abbey Cwm Hir: within the parish are several mineral springs : the water of two or three of these is black and strongly impregnated with sulphur, and is considered efficacious in the cure of cutaneous diseases. The others, which are disregarded for medicinal uses, are of a reddish copper colour, and if copper be immersed in them, it will, in the course of an hour or two, become of a whitish colour, while silver, in like manner, will be made yellow. A red and a black spring rise within ten yards of each other, in the same meadow ; and near the church is a celebrated spring, called " Pistyll Gynllo. " The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is 495. 5.

(Copied using  the Cd published by Archive CD Books)


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 20 July 2005  Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.