Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"LLANDDEWI-VACH (LLAN-DDEWI-VACH), a parish in the hundred of PAINSCASTLE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 5 1/2 miles (N. W. by W.) from Hay, containing 136 inhabitants. This parish, ................ is skirted on the north and west by the small river Bachwy, by which it is separated from the adjacent parish of Llanbedr-Painscastle. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Llowes, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's : the tithes are appropriated to the archdeacon of Brecknock, who is patron of the united benefice. The church, dedicated to St. David, ............... A Sunday school is supported by subscription. The average annual expenditure for the support of the Poor is £ 101.2. .........." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Church of St David, Llanddewi Fach on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llandewyfach Parish; Statistics; Area 2297 acres; Population 60 males, 69 females, total 129
- Llanddewifach Parish Church Attendance - morning 23 1 service in English John Williams, Minister
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
- Baptisms 1775-1981; Marriages 1754-1971; Burials 1775-1960; Banns 1829-1900, 1980
Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW and/or Powys Archives.
Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Llanddewi Fach which are provided by:
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Jenkins of Trostre deeds and documents 1647-1818 "The Lewis family of Llanelly, Brecknockshire, held land in Llanddewi Fach in the 17th and 18th centuries........."
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO146453 (Lat/Lon: 52.099387, -3.248185), Llanddewi Fach which are provided by: