"LLANDDEWYFACH, a parish in the hundred of Painscastle, county Radnor, 5 miles N.W. of Hay, its post town, and 14 from Brecon. It is situated on a tributary of the river Wye, called the Bachwy. The village is a small rustic place. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of Llowes, in the diocese of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. David."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
LLANDDEWI-VACH (LLAN-DDEWI-VACH), a parish in the hundred of PAINSCASTLE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 5 1/2 miles (N. W. by W.) from Hay, containing 136 inhabitants. This parish, the name of which signifies " the lesser church of St. David," is skirted on the north and west by the small river Bachwy, by which it is separated from the adjacent parish of Llanbedr-Painscastle. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Llowes, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's : the tithes are appropriated to the archdeacon of Brecknock, who is patron of the united benefice. The church, dedicated to St. David, is situated close to a wood called Allt Ddew, but is not distinguished by any remarkable architectural features. A Sunday school is supported by subscription. The average annual expenditure for the support of the Door is £ 101.2.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated: 30 July 2005 Gareth Hicks]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996