"LLANDEGLAY (LLAN-DEGLA), a parish, partly within the liberties of the borough of NEW RADNOR, and partly in the hundred of KEVENLLEECE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 1 1/2 mile (E. S. E.) from Pen y Bont, containing 355 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Tecla, is intersected by the turnpike road from Hereford, through Knighton, New Radnor, and Rhaiadr, to Aberystwith, ...............This place constitutes a prebend in the collegiate church of Brecknock, rated in the king's books at £5, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £3. 5. 5., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. ................ There is a place of worship for the Society of Friends. A parochial day school, endowed by an unknown benefactor.......................The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £ 195. 10. .........." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Swydd, Graig and Tynlan Township in Llandegley Parish; Statistics; Area 3729 acres; Population 169 males, 170 females, total 339
Llandegley Parish Church Attendance - (average) afternoon 40 1 service in English John Jones, Vicar
The Pales, Meeting House of the Society of Friends Erected 1745, re-erected 1828 Attendance - morning 16 Thomas Rogers
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
Baptisms 1727-1914; Marriages 1727-1971; Burials 1727-1990
Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW and/or Powys Archives.
Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW
Society of Friends Papers " .............. The Pales Meeting House in Llandegley is the oldest meeting house in Wales. The first deed of 1673 gives Pales two meanings, a burial ground called round about and y Ty ar dir yn y Swydd (the house on the land at the Swydd)............."
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO139629 (Lat/Lon: 52.257474, -3.262875), Llandeglau / Llandegley which are provided by: