We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

LLANDEGLEY - Gazetteers

National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LLANDEGLEY, a parish in the hundred of Cefnllys, borough and county of Radnor, 6 miles N.W. of New Radnor, and 10 S.E. of Rhayader, its post town. It is situated on the borders of Radnor Forest, which attains an altitude of 2,168 feet, and is watered by a tributary of the river Ithon. The parish includes the townships of Llanvihangel-Nantmellan, Swydd, with Graig and Tynlan. Lead is obtained from the hills, and in some places quartz crystals. Here is a spring strongly impregnated with sulphur, which is much frequented in summer for drinking and bathing. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of St. David's, value £120, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Tecla. The charities consist of an endowment of £22 to William's free school, and other bequests, producing altogether about £43 per annum."

"GRAIG, a township united with Swydd, in the parish of Llandegley, hundred of Cefnllys, county Radnor, South Wales, 6 miles N.W. of Radnor. It is situated at the foot of the hill known as Cefn Craig."

"SWYDD, a township in the parish of Llandegley, hundred of Cefnllys, county Radnor, 5 miles N.W. of Radnor. In the vicinity is Llandegley spa."

"TYNLAN, a township in the parish of Llandegley, hundred of Cefnllys, county Radnor, 5 miles N.W. of New Radnor."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales Samuel Lewis, 1833

LLANDEGLAY (LLAN-DEGLA), a parish, partly within the liberties of the borough of NEW RADNOR, and partly in the hundred of KEVENLLEECE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 1 1/2 mile (E. S. E.) from Pen y Bont, containing 355 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Tecla, is intersected by the turnpike road from Hereford, through Knighton, New Radnor, and Rhaiadr, to Aberystwith, and comprises a tract of about four thousand acres, of which a considerable portion is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surrounding scenery is not distinguished by any peculiarity of feature : some part of the surface is flat, and the rest very hilly : the parish is watered only by two streams, called respectively the Meithil and the Logun : the soil is generally fertile : some part of it is gravelly, but the greater portion is heavy and wet. Veins of lead-ore are supposed to exist, but they are not worked at present. This place constitutes a prebend in the collegiate church of Brecknock, rated in the king's books at £5, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £3. 5. 5., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church is a small ancient edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a low tower having a shelving roof : the original character of the building has been much disfigured by the insertion of modern windows, in a style totally differing from that of the prevailing architecture. There is a place of worship for the Society of Friends. A parochial day school, endowed by an unknown benefactor with the rent of a farm, in this parish, called Portys y Gerthy, now producing £ 20 per annum, affords gratuitous instruction in reading and writing to the poor children of the parish. Ann Griffiths, by will, in 1721, bequeathed £ 120, and Evan Griffiths, by deed in the same year, gave £40, both which sums have been invested in the purchase of a small farm, called Ty 'n y waen, in this parish, the rental of which, amounting to £ 18, is annually distributed, in equal proportions, among the poor of the parishes of Colva, Llandeglay, and Llanvihangel Nant Melan, agreeably to the directions of the donors. Here are two mineral springs, one of which is a strong chalybeate, and the other impregnated with sulphur : both are in high estimation for their medicinal virtues. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £ 195. 10.

 

GRAIG

GRAIG (CRAIG), a joint township with Swydd, in the parish of LLANDEGLAY, hundred of KEVENLLEECE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 9 1/2 miles (E.) from Rhaiadr. The population is returned with Swydd. In this township is Cevn Craig, a very elevated mountain, rising two thousand one hundred and sixty-three feet above the level of the sea, within a recess of which, at its southern base, are the Llandeglay wells, so celebrated for their medicinal properties. The road from New Radnor to Rhaiadr passes near the base of the mountain, which formed part of the ancient forest of Radnor, and within less than half a mile of the wells.

SWYDD

SWYDD, a joint township with Graig, in the parish of LLANDEGLAY, hundred of KEVENLLEECE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 1 mile (E. N. E.) from Peny bont, containing, with Graig, 227 inhabitants. It forms the northern portion of the parish, which borders on the ancient forest of Radnor, and lies between the left bank of the Cymaron brook and the lofty and mountainous range of that district. Within a recess of these mountains are the Llandeglay Wells, once highly esteemed for their medicinal efficacy, but not much frequented at present.

TRELLAN

TRELLAN (TRE-LLAN), a township in the parish of LLANDEGLAY, hundred of KEVENLLEECE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 1 1/2 mile (E. by S.) from Penybont, containing 128 inhabitants. The road from New Radnor to Rhaiadr passes through this township, which contains the parish church ; and a branch of the Cymaron river flows through it, near the northern base of a lofty and barren mountain which occupies a great portion of the district. The manorial rights of this township and that of Graig are vested in the crown.

(Copied using  the Cd published by Archive CD Books)