GENUKI Home page NeighboursNearby places
Radnorshire Radnorshire   Contents Contents

LLANDEGLAU / LLANDEGLEY

"LLANDEGLAY (LLAN-DEGLA), a parish, partly within the liberties of the borough of NEW RADNOR, and partly in the hundred of KEVENLLEECE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 1 1/2 mile (E. S. E.) from Pen y Bont, containing 355 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Tecla, is intersected by the turnpike road from Hereford, through Knighton, New Radnor, and Rhaiadr, to Aberystwith, ...............This place constitutes a prebend in the collegiate church of Brecknock, rated in the king's books at 5, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at 3. 5. 5., endowed with 200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. ................ There is a place of worship for the Society of Friends. A parochial day school, endowed by an unknown benefactor.......................The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is 195. 10. .........."  ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Bibliography

Pritchard, T J Llewelyn. The Llandrindod guide, including the wells of Llandegley and Blaenedwy... Newport : E. Nicholas, pr., [1825] 271p

Sharpe, Richard. Some medieval miracula from Llandegley (Lambeth Palace Library, MS. 94 fols. 153v-155v). Bulletin of the Board of Celtic Studies 37 (1990), p. 166-76

Census

Victorian Powys for schools site - Census figures for Llandegley parish 1841-1901

Church History

Church of St Tecla, Llandegley on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G   Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,  Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Swydd, Graig and Tynlan Township in Llandegley Parish; Statistics; Area 3729 acres; Population 169 males, 170 females, total 339

Church Records

Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers

As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Description and Travel

Llandegley Rocks from Esgair-nantau  -  on the Cistercian Way site

Gazetteers

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Maps

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Schools

Victorian Powys for schools site - Llandegley School c 1885

 

Return to top

Llandeglau / Llandegley


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[ 16 Nov 2013 - Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.