"LLANDILO GRABAN, a parish in the hundred of Painscastle, county Radnor, 5 miles S.E. of Builth, its post town, and 8 N.W. of Hay. It is situated in a secluded spot surrounded by hills, and is watered by the river Wye. A large beech tree on the outskirts of the parish is conspicuous for a long distance. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, value £72, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Teilo. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
LLANDEILO-GRABAN (LLAN-DEILO-GRABAN), a parish in the hundred of PAINSCASTLE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (S. E. by S.) from Builth, containing 272 inhabitants. This parish extends along the banks of the river Wye, and is situated in the centre of a mountainous district. There are not only no public roads leading to it, but even the private roads by which it is traversed are almost impassable in some places. The surface is chiefly mountainous, but the lower lands are principally enclosed and in a tolerable state of cultivation : the soil is for the most part gravelly: the lower grounds produce comparatively good crops, and the bottoms, which are well drained, afford good pasturage. The parish is separated from that of Llanstephan by a stream called the Bachwy, which here forms a beautiful cascade, round which is some strikingly magnificent scenery. Its surface is bold and striking, but, in common with that of the adjacent country, is destitute of picturesque beauty, owing to the nakedness of the mountains : from some of the higher hills, however, the prospects are extensive and magnificent beyond description. On the side towards Brecknockshire nearly the whole of the mountains in that county are conspicuous in one grand continuous chain, extending more than thirty miles ; and part of the mountains in the counties of Cardigan and Carmarthen are seen from some of the other heights. Near the line of demarcation between this parish and that of Llanstephan is a beech tree of remarkable growth, allowed to be the loftiest in the county, and forming a singular and striking object from many points of view, both in this county and in that of Brecknock. The parish contains no village : it constitutes a prebend in the collegiate church of Brecknock, rated in the king's books at £ 9. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £ 800 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Prebendary of Llandeilo-Graban. The church, dedicated to St. Teilo, is a plain neat edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a low tower, covered with a shelving roof. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. David Bedws, in 1726, bequeathed to the poor of this parish £ 100 in money, which, being vested in land, produces £ 6 per annum : William George, in 1686, bequeathed £40; and Thomas George gave certain portions of land at present worth £40 per annum ; but at the time of proving the will of the last-named donor, a compromise took place between the heir and the parish, by which the latter, to save litigation, granted a lease of the lands to the former at £ 10 per annum : a doubt, however, is still entertained of the legality of the transaction. There is also a small donation in land by an unknown benefactor. The produce of these several benefactions is appropriated to the relief of decayed housekeepers. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £273.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 7 Aug 2005 Gareth Hicks]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996