We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


  • National Gazetteer, 1868
  • Lewis 1833

    National Gazetteer, 1868

    [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
    "LLANFIHANGEL RYDITHON, a parish in the hundred of Cefnllys, or Kevenlleece, county Radnor, 7 miles N.W. of Radnor, and 10 S.W. of Knighton, its post town. The rivers Ithon and Aron flow through the neighbourhood. This parish was formerly a forest, and much of the land is still unenclosed. The village, which is a small agricultural place, is situated to the E. of the river Ithon. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to that of Llandewiystradenny, in the diocese of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. There are charities producing about £2 per annum."

    [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
    Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

    These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

    A Topographical Dictionary of Wales Samuel Lewis, 1833

    LLANVIHANGEL-RHYD-ITHON (LLAN-VIHANGEL RHYD ITHON), a parish in the hundred of KEVENLLEECE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (E. N. E.) from Pen y Bont, containing 350 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Michael ; its distinguishing adjunct, signifying the ford of the Ithon, seems but obscurely derived from its situation on the ford of a small rivulet, which falls into the Cymaron, a tributary stream to the Ithon, and more than a mile above its confluence with that river. According to the opinion of some antiquaries, which is said to be confirmed by local tradition from time immemorial, the name is more properly Llanvihangel Rhiw Teithon, from its situation on a road immediately above the church, which led into the forest of Radnor, and still bears the name Rhiw Teithon. The surface of the parish is in general wild and mountainous : the soil is comparatively poor and unproductive ; and the lands are but partially enclosed and indifferently cultivated. The surrounding scenery is equally destitute of beauty and of interest; and the views from the higher grounds, though extensive, are neither pleasing nor diversified. The road from Knighton to Pen y Bont passes through the parish, and at the latter place is a post - office, from which the inhabitants receive their letters. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Lord Kensington, as lessee of the tithes under the Prebendary of Llanbister. The church, which is in a very dilapidated condition, is about to be taken down and rebuilt. The interest of several small charitable donations and bequests, amounting only to £2. 10., is annually distributed among the poor. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £158. 10.  

    (Copied using  the Cd published by Archive CD Books)