"LLANGUNLLO (LLAN-GYNLLO), a parish comprising the Upper and Lower divisions, in the hundred of KEVENLLEECE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 5 1/2 miles (W.) from Knighton, containing 498 inhabitants, of which number, 323 are resident in the Upper, and 175 in the Lower, division. This place derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Cynllo,................. The parish, which is situated in the north-eastern portion of the county, and near the source of the river Lug, is bounded on the east by the parish of Heyop, and on the west by that of Llanbister, and extends four miles in length and three in breadth, ................In ancient writings this parish is styled " Llan Gynllo cum Capellis," and the parish church of Pillith, is said to have been formerly a chapel to the mother church of this place. Llangunllo, with the adjoining parish of Pillith, constitutes a prebend in the collegiate church of Brecknock, valued in the king's books at £ 13, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Pillith annexed, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £5. 1. 0 1/2., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. ..............A small free school, for the gratuitous instruction of eight poor children, is endowed with three acres of land in the parish. .............. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor of both divisions amounts to £ 300. 9..........." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llangynllo, or Llangunllo Parish consisting of the Townships of Lower Llangynllo, Upper Llangynllo and part of Heyhop; Statistics; Area 5627 acres; Population 251 males, 238 females, total 489
Lower Llangynllo Township
Llangunllo Parish Church Attendance - (average) morning 80 + 45 scholars, afternoon 81 + 41 scholars (alternate) 1 service in English "........There is but one Service in this Church on the Sunday. The Duty is performed alternately morning and afternoon. In order that the Church might become more efficient in this parish there ought to be two services on each Sunday, but owing to the smallness of the living (the Vicar receiving only 1/4 of the rent charge paid in lieu of tithe) the endowment as above stated [tithe £92; glebe £3, fees £1, easter offerings £1] is insufficient for the maintenance of the clergyman and his family - consequently he is obliged to take the duty of another Parish." D Davies, Vicar
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
Baptisms 1744-1986; Marriages 1744-1971; Burials 1744-1925; Banns 1823-1912
Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW and/or Powys Archives.
Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO211712 (Lat/Lon: 52.333161, -3.159360), Llangynllo which are provided by: