GENUKI Home page NeighboursNearby places
Radnorshire Radnorshire   Contents Contents

LLANGYNLLO

"LLANGUNLLO (LLAN-GYNLLO), a parish comprising the Upper and Lower divisions, in the hundred of KEVENLLEECE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 5 1/2 miles (W.) from Knighton, containing 498 inhabitants, of which number, 323 are resident in the Upper, and 175 in the Lower, division. This place derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Cynllo,................. The parish, which is situated in the north-eastern portion of the county, and near the source of the river Lug, is bounded on the east by the parish of Heyop, and on the west by that of Llanbister, and extends four miles in length and three in breadth, ................In ancient writings this parish is styled " Llan Gynllo cum Capellis," and the parish church of Pillith, is said to have been formerly a chapel to the mother church of this place. Llangunllo, with the adjoining parish of Pillith, constitutes a prebend in the collegiate church of Brecknock, valued in the king's books at 13, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Pillith annexed, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at 5. 1. 0 1/2., endowed with 200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. ..............A small free school, for the gratuitous instruction of eight poor children, is endowed with three acres of land in the parish. .............. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor of both divisions amounts to 300. 9..........."  ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Bibliography

Davies, D Stedman Rev. & Rev. A Mason        Llangynllo             Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 12  1942    Welsh Journals Online

Lloyd, J D K       The Bryans of Spoad and Crungoed                Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 20 1950    Welsh Journals Online

Place names in the Llangunllo District                 Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 3 1933         Welsh Journals Online

Census

Victorian Powys for schools site - Census figures for Llangynllo parish 1841-1901

Church History

LLANGUNLLO, St. Cynllo  1874-1882    - on the Church plans online site

Church of St Cynllo, Llangunllo on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G   Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,  Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Llangynllo, or Llangunllo Parish consisting of the Townships of Lower Llangynllo, Upper Llangynllo and part of Heyhop; Statistics; Area 5627 acres; Population 251 males, 238 females, total 489

Church Records

Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers

As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;

Description and Travel

Llangynllo Station - on the Heart of Wales site

Gazetteers

History

Llangynllo War Memorial - on the Roll of Honour site

Maps

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Schools

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

 

Return to top

Llangynllo


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[ 20 Nov 2013 - Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.