GENUKI Home page NeighboursNearby places
Radnorshire Radnorshire   Contents Contents

LLANSANFFRAID CWMTEUDDWR

"CWM-TOYDDWR (CWM-DAUDDWR), otherwise LLANSANTFRAID CWM-TOYDDWR, a parish in the hundred of RHAIADR, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 1/4 of a mile (W. S. W.) from Rhaiadr, containing 867 inhabitants. The name of this place, signifying " the dingle of the two rivers," or " the church of St. Bridget in the dingle of the two rivers," is derived from that of the saint to whom the church is dedicated, and its situation near the confluence of the rivers Wye and Elain, which unite towards the southern extremity of the parish. From this latter circumstance some etymologists have supposed the name to have been originally Cymmer Dau Ddwr, signifying " the junction of two rivers," from which they derive its present appellation. The parish, which is pleasantly situated on the western side of the river Wye, by which it is separated from the town of Rhaiadr, extends nearly ten miles in length, and in the central part is nearly five miles in breadth : ...........In the vale of the Elain are the Cwm Elain lead mines, discovered in 1796, which have been for some time discontinued ; and in other parts of the parish there are some quarries of good slate. ...........The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, endowed with 200 royal bounty, and 400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. ............The church, dedicated to St. Bridget, and rebuilt in 1778..............At Nant Wyllt, about four miles from the mother church, is a small but well-built chapel of ease, erected in the year 1772. ..........Vestiges of two ancient chapels are still visible, called respectively Capel Madoc and Aber Henllau : they are supposed to be of more ancient foundation than the original parish church,.............The name of a neighbouring farm, called Coed y Mynach, or "the monks' wood," has led to an opinion that there was anciently a monastery at this place ;.............The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to 414. "  ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Bibliography

Bidgood, Ruth.           Early families of Rhydoldog, Llansanffraid Cwmteuddwr.           Radnorshire Society Transactions   Vol 56  1986         Welsh Journals Online  &   Vol 57  1987         Welsh Journals Online  

Bidgood, Ruth             Nantgwyllt            Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 65 1995    Welsh Journals Online &  vol. 66 1996    Welsh Journals Online

Hawkins, Desmond     The Groves of Cwm Elan            Radnorshire Society Transactions   Vol 55  1985          Welsh Journals Online      

Jones, T Thornley      The giants' graves                   Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 21 1951 Welsh Journals Online  

Jones, T Thornley         The 'Llannau' of Cwmdaudddwr parish         Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 36 1966         Welsh Journals Online

Lewis,Stedman R          Extracts from "The Manor of the Grange, Cwmtoyddwr Presentment Book"      Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 34 1964         Welsh Journals Online   

Lewis, Stedman  R            'This Cupboard is not bare'            Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 35 1965         Welsh Journals Online

Oliver, R C B    The 'Gwardole' letters of 1843              Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 62 1992    Welsh Journals Online

Price, Hetty          Cwmdauddwr memories                Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 18 1948           Welsh Journals Online

Pugh, Jonathan Argoed     Notes on the Parish of Cwmteuddwr          Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 6 1936   Welsh Journals Online

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Elan Valley, Bethania Baptist Chapel, Elan Valley LLANSANTFFRAID CWMDEUDDWR, St. Winifred   1861-1865   - on the Church plans online site

Church of St Winifred, Llansantffraed Cwmdeuddwr on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G   Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,  Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Cwmteuddwr Parish consisting of the Townships of Dyffryn-Gwy and Dyffryn-Elan; Statistics; Area 32000 acres;; Population 416 males, 419 females, total 835

Church Records

Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers

As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;

Gazetteers

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Maps

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

 

Return to top

Llansanffraid Cwmteuddwr


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[ 20 Nov 2013  - Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.