Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
LLANYRE - Gazetteers
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LLANYRE, (or Llanher), a parish in the hundred of Rhayader, county Radnor, 6 miles S.E. of Rhayader, its post town, and 10 W. of New Radnor. It is situated in the vicinity of Castell Collen, and is watered by the rivers Irthon and Wye. The parish includes the townships of Kilgee and Trawscoed. The little village stands on the Roman road which ran from Caerfagn between Rhayader and Knighton to Bullaeum, the modern Builth. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to that of Llanvihangel Helygen, in the diocese of St. David's. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There are charities of about £2 per annum."
"KILGEE, (or Cilgil), a township in the parish of Llanyre, county Radnor, 6 miles S.E. of Rhayader. It is situated on the river Ithon."
"TRAWSCOED, a township in the parish of Llanyre, county Radnor, 5 miles S.E. of Rhayader, between the rivers Wye and Ython."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.
LLANYRE, or LLANHIR (LLAN-HIR), a parish in the hundred of RHAIADR, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (N.) from Builth, on the road to Rhaiadr, containing 674 inhabitants. This parish is situated between the rivers Wye and Ithon, by the former of which it is bounded on the west, and by the latter on the east. It extends five miles in length and about two miles and a half in breadth, and comprises a large tract of arable and pasture land, of which by far the greater portion is enclosed. The surrounding scenery is generally pleasing, the banks of the rivers being in some parts richly ornamented with wood. The living is a vicarage not in charge, consolidated with that of Nantmel, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, and is not remarkable for any architectural details. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyan Methodists, at Newbridge, on the border of the parish. Within its limits is a house called Cwm, on the farm attached to which are the remains of a Roman camp, which, however, being included in the adjoining parish of Llanvihangel Helygen, are described under the head of that place. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £ 283. 12.
KILGIL (CILGIL), a township in the parish of LLANYRE, hundred of RHAIADR, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 5 1/2 miles (S.E.) from Rhaiadr. The population is included in the return for the parish, of which it forms the northern portion, and is bounded on the east by the river Ithon. The parochial church is situated in this township, which contains some marshy ground on the banks of the river.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)