Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llowes, Radnorshire - Gazetteers
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"LLOWES, a parish in the hundred of Painscastle, county Radnor, 2 miles W. of Hay, its post town. It is situated on the western bank of the river Wye. It is a small rustic place. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value with that of Llanddewi-Vach, £132, in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Brecknock. The church is dedicated to St. Meldig."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions
LLOWES, a parish in the hundred of PAINSCASTLE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 2 1/2 miles (W.) from Hay, containing 372 inhabitants. This parish, which is only of moderate extent, is pleasantly situated on the river Wye, by which it is bounded on the south. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified, and in some parts picturesque ; and the higher grounds command some interesting views of the adjacent country, including the windings of the river. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Llanddewi Vach annexed, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £ 8, 10., and in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Brecknock, to whom the tithes of the parish are appropriated. The church, dedicated to St. Meilig, is an ancient structure, consisting of a nave and chancel, and appears to have undergone extensive alterations and repairs, principally in the later style of English architecture. Mrs. Susannah Howarth, in 1704, bequeathed a small rent-charge, the produce of which is annually distributed in bread among the poor of the parish. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £ 161. 1.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)